Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
145 Posts
scottelderado Excellent research on the manuals. I missed them, did not look further on the listings. My bad.

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,084 Posts
Ha. I may be bad with cars, but I’m HOF with eBay...
I got an email alert for Iraymal’s post about the Haynes, but when I got here you’d already replied and made the same rec.

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Supplementary information..... The Haynes manual has only minimal info regarding your vehicle, although in a pinch could provide something more detailed than the OEM manual. You might want to check out Item 313152302475 on Ebay. This is the Factory manual which will be more helpful if you intend to learn/work on your '81.
Just went ahead and bought the manual. A little bit of an update on the window, and I have to say I'm an idiot for this. When I was testing the switch, I didn't have the battery connected. Today I reconnected it and tested the switch again. The window tape does move and I can hear the sound of a motor. That said, when I had the window installed (I've since removed the glass), it did not move up or down the rail - just remained in the down position. Also as you said, although the tape is moving, it seems to be improperly installed or turning in a weird way. Any idea as to what the problem could be? Thank you

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ha. I may be bad with cars, but I’m HOF with eBay...
I got an email alert for Iraymal’s post about the Haynes, but when I got here you’d already replied and made the same rec.
Thank you both for the rec. Just bought it, should be here by August.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ha. That's nothing. One time I connected the positive battery cable to the negative battery terminal, and the negative cable to the positive terminal. Car didn't start for some reason... (In my defense, it was night and the red cable was covered in dark grease.)
The FSM or Factory Service Manual is basically essential. You won't regret the purchase. The FSM covers engine, brakes, steering, suspension, etc. The 1985 version I have also includes all the electrical diagrams too. FSM helps you make the car go.
The Fisher Body Manual covers how things fit together like body panels, doors, seats. The Fisher helps you understand how the car is put together. And it dives deep into windows.

Both manuals are/were literally what the pros use.

Why two separate manuals? Dunno. But the Fisher is for several GM cars of that year (called "bodies," your Seville is a "K-body"; my Eldorado, a Buick Riviera, and an Olds Toronado are all "E-body", etc.), while the FSM is just for Cadillacs.
Sorry, I can't advise about the window problem. Mine have always worked, and you learn how to fix things when they stop working.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just went ahead and bought the manual. A little bit of an update on the window, and I have to say I'm an idiot for this. When I was testing the switch, I didn't have the battery connected. Today I reconnected it and tested the switch again. The window tape does move and I can hear the sound of a motor. That said, when I had the window installed (I've since removed the glass), it did not move up or down the rail - just remained in the down position. Also as you said, although the tape is moving, it seems to be improperly installed or turning in a weird way. Any idea as to what the problem could
You aren't an idiot... Some guys have the battery connected and forget to turn the ignition on to test the switch for power. At least you have an operating motor now.

The tape could move, but I'm pretty sure it is broken from what I can see in the picture you posted. The tape should run up and down in the track on the left (in pic just above the motor). There are what looks like pieces of the tape stuck to that track both at the top and right above the motor. Another indicator is that the tape is coiled up... too much of it. There is a reason for the tape breaking, either the tape just became brittle because of age and just broke (most likely) or the teeth on the motor are problematic. Where the motor gear engages the tape, it engages the tape holes and moves it up/down. When you get it apart check out the holes in the tape, they are probably chewed up and you will see where it has broken. You still have to remove all that stuff to replace the tape. Amazon has the motor, Dorman part number 742-150 for $23.62, and the tape part number 74403 for $10.10...buy both with free shipping. Looks like the best prices around. Keep us posted on how you are doing, so far so good, keep it up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Why two separate manuals? Dunno. But the Fisher is for several GM cars of that year (called "bodies," your Seville is a "K-body"; my Eldorado, a Buick Riviera, and an Olds Toronado are all
scotteldorado....The reason for the two manuals is because the OEM repair manual is officially GM issue. Can be sold under license by Helms or others. The Fischer repair manual is under separate license to Fischer who purchased the rights to the body repair info. Ran into a GM engineer who explained it to me, I hope I got it right.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hey Scooter, interesting stuff. I'd thought Fisher Body was bought by GM and they just kept the name for the division.

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You aren't an idiot... Some guys have the battery connected and forget to turn the ignition on to test the switch for power. At least you have an operating motor now.

The tape could move, but I'm pretty sure it is broken from what I can see in the picture you posted. The tape should run up and down in the track on the left (in pic just above the motor). There are what looks like pieces of the tape stuck to that track both at the top and right above the motor. Another indicator is that the tape is coiled up... too much of it. There is a reason for the tape breaking, either the tape just became brittle because of age and just broke (most likely) or the teeth on the motor are problematic. Where the motor gear engages the tape, it engages the tape holes and moves it up/down. When you get it apart check out the holes in the tape, they are probably chewed up and you will see where it has broken. You still have to remove all that stuff to replace the tape. Amazon has the motor, Dorman part number 742-150 for $23.62, and the tape part number 74403 for $10.10...buy both with free shipping. Looks like the best prices around. Keep us posted on how you are doing, so far so good, keep it up.
If I buy the fisher manual, will it give guidance to how to take the metal shroud off the door? I'm completely lost as to what bolt frees what.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I don't know which shroud you're talking about, but very probably yes.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
p.s. Iraymal check your "Conversations". There's a drop down at top right of page if you click on the big green "I" box. I sent you a private message.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I buy the fisher manual, will it give guidance to how to take the metal shroud off the door? I'm completely lost as to what bolt frees what.
I'm with scotterado on that one. Are you talking about the door panel (sometimes referred to as a "door card")? Don't remember there being any metal panel being in there. In one of your pics you have the panel partially off showing one of the door panel lights which you were having some trouble removing. I hope you got that resolved which should have freed up the panel for removal except for the numerous plastic "push-ins" located around the panel that have to be popped out and then lifting the panel up off the top ridges of the door proper to completely free it up. Post a pic of what you are talking about and we might be able to talk you through it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Scooter, interesting stuff. I'd thought Fisher Body was bought by GM and they just kept the name for the division.
scottelderado... Right! I'm referring to the 1980's when the manuals were published. I think somewhere around 2004 or whatever there was a change in ownership and Fisher was absorbed. So many companies still retain the original name after consolidation which doesn't affect what was done in the past. Trying to keep things in context.

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well....I found my issue. It's definitely not the regulator and it's definitely not the tape. Both are in good health and don't need to be replaced. Rather, the white plastic piece that has a little tooth that slides into the tape must've had the tooth crack off awhile ago. Where can I find the white plastic part to buy a replacement?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I can’t help you, but can you post an image of the broken part? Might help Scooter and others.
I suspect you’ll have to head to eBay. But dunno. Maybe you can find a new one or jerry rig the one you’ve got.

Actually sounds like progress. Bravo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well....I found my issue. It's definitely not the regulator and it's definitely not the tape. Both are in good health and don't need to be replaced. Rather, the white plastic piece that has a little tooth that slides into the tape must've had the tooth crack off awhile ago. Where can I find the white plastic part to buy a replacement?
Not knowing what the white plastic piece is, or where it is, I can't help you. I suggest you look on Youtube at the 1989 Buick LeSabre... Replace Power Window Motor Tape video. Pay attention at 8 minutes into the video and watch through 13:24. This shows the top if the window rail where the "carrier" attaches to the tape end, that is the only part I remember having a tooth as a retainer for the tape. Also look at the tape you have, especially looking for elongation of the tape holes, grease, cracks or any indication that the tape has become brittle. You have done a lot of work getting to this point and I would replace a 39 yr old plastic part just to be on the safe side. Your call.

Remember, we are here trying to help you through this but you have to be more specific and post pics so we know what you are looking at in order to actually "see" what you are working on. Help us to help you.

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I can’t help you, but can you post an image of the broken part? Might help Scooter and others.
I suspect you’ll have to head to eBay. But dunno. Maybe you can find a new one or jerry rig the one you’ve got.

Not knowing what the white plastic piece is, or where it is, I can't help you. I suggest you look on Youtube at the 1989 Buick LeSabre... Replace Power Window Motor Tape video. Pay attention at 8 minutes into the video and watch through 13:24. This shows the top if the window rail where the "carrier" attaches to the tape end, that is the only part I remember having a tooth as a retainer for the tape. Also look at the tape you have, especially looking for elongation of the tape holes, grease, cracks or any indication that the tape has become brittle. You have done a lot of work getting to this point and I would replace a 39 yr old plastic part just to be on the safe side. Your call.

Remember, we are here trying to help you through this but you have to be more specific and post pics so we know what you are looking at in order to actually "see" what you are working on. Help us to help you.
I'll upload the pic and watch the video when I get home tonight. Should be in a couple hours or so. Thanks for all the help thus far.

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
21 - 39 of 39 Posts