Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm sixteen and have no repair experience, and I've run into a bit of a problem when trying to change the window motor on my 81 seville. The repair manual said to take the door panel off which I've done, but now the directions are a bit unclear. Which rivets or bolts should be removed to access the old motor which i'm trying to replace? A picture of the inner door is attached.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
145 Posts
You picked the wrong project to start your repair experience. Replacing these motors on the Seville's are a real PITA. Having done three of them on my '83 Seville I can attest to that. You need to remove the window glass along with disassembling the mechanism for the glass inside the door panel before getting to the motor which is riveted to the housing and on and on... Readjusting the window is another thing that will just drive you nuts. I'm looking at your picture and it looks like the tape for the actuation process is screwed up. Can't remember exactly how mine looked, but yours doesn't look right. That might be your problem.

Question... How did you determine the motor was bad? Can you hear it run at all or is the window just not going up/down?

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You picked the wrong project to start your repair experience. Replacing these motors on the Seville's are a real PITA. Having done three of them on my '83 Seville I can attest to that. You need to remove the window glass along with disassembling the mechanism for the glass inside the door panel before getting to the motor which is riveted to the housing and on and on... Readjusting the window is another thing that will just drive you nuts. I'm looking at your picture and it looks like the tape for the actuation process is screwed up. Can't remember exactly how mine looked, but yours doesn't look right. That might be your problem.

Question... How did you determine the motor was bad? Can you hear it run at all or is the window just not going up/down?
Thanks for getting back to me. I figured the motor would be bad becuase the window always falls to the down position and pressing the switch does nothing. I can pull it up and move it freely but theres no power behind it or anything of that sort. I guess this is the type of thing you deal with on a $700 car. Did I misdiagnose the issue?

·
Registered
145 Posts
. I figured the motor would be bad because the window always falls to the down position and pressing the switch does nothing. I can pull it up and move it freely but there is no power behind it or anything of that sort. I guess this is the type of thing you deal with on a $700 car. Did I misdiagnose the issue?
Are you saying the window is loose in the door and falls down and you can pull it up without any resistance? If this is the case, the window is disconnected from the mechanism or the tape is broken, or both.

Pressing the switch either up or down position you cannot hear the motor "hum"? Have to test the switch to see if there is any power going to it. Also check to see if the motor is plugged in.

Don't fault the car just because it was $700, whoever sold it to you apparently had issues he/she could not cope with, one of which is this window. Where are you located, anywhere near WV?

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you saying the window is loose in the door and falls down and you can pull it up without any resistance? If this is the case, the window is disconnected from the mechanism or the tape is broken, or both.

Pressing the switch either up or down position you cannot hear the motor "hum"? Have to test the switch to see if there is any power going to it. Also check to see if the motor is plugged in.

Don't fault the car just because it was $700, whoever sold it to you apparently had issues he/she could not cope with, one of which is this window. Where are you located, anywhere near WV?
Unfortunately not - in NJ. I hear no hum when I press the button. Also there's no resistance in sliding the window up and down. I'm a bit of a novice for this stuff, how can I check whether its disconnected from mechanism or tape is broken? I guess with a 700 car its mechanically and electrically sound other than this, so I lucked out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My opinion, which could be contradicted by someone on here more knowledgeable than I am, is you have two issues: One is the tape is bad: Two, No power to the motor as it is disconnected, OR the motor is bad, OR there is no power at the switch.

You have already determined the window is disconnected or the tape is bad by the simple fact of no resistance in moving the window up and down by hand. I think your best bet is to find a mechanically minded buddy to help you with this. Otherwise, look at the mechanism in the door to determine what happens when the window goes up and down, lift the window (or lower it) while studying where it is (or not) connected and how the attached parts should move in conjunction with it. If lifting/lowering the window glass moves the plastic guides up and down on the silver looking rods in there, opt for the tape being broken which is a bear to replace. If nothing happens when you raise/lower the window glass by hand the window glass is disconnected from the mechanism. There are ( I think) 3 screws that mount the glass to the frame mechanism. They could be missing or laying in the bottom of the door frame.

This is just an overview in diagnosing the problem, either way you will wind up removing the window glass and the mechanism to make the repairs, either tape or motor. Wish I could be more helpful, good luck!

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like the glass isn't attached to anything. That yellowish belt thing doesn't move when I'm moving the window, so now do I need to figure out how the glass is supposed to be attached? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
145 Posts
That "yellowish belt thing" is the tape drive from the motor to drive the window mechanism up and down. Hand lower the glass enough to see if the three screws going through the glass are there to hold it to the mechanism. Did you look at what I suggested while moving the glass?

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the three circled bolts are the three screws you're referring to, then yes they are attached to the glass. The glass moves up and down the silver rod/rail. So is the tape the problem? sorry, was having a bit of trouble understanding

·
Registered
145 Posts
OK now we are getting somewhere.... You have just analyzed your problem. Yes the glass is connected properly to the mechanism and it moves freely up and down the guides.

Now the solution... The tape is the problem as it is broken and will need replacement which means taking apart all that stuff to get to it and removing it from the door. While it is out, you should replace the motor as well as it is probably an original unit and you don't want to go through all this work again. Just make sure it is plugged in either way.

Can't very much help in describing all the steps you need to get it removed but if you look at each part and see how it is attached, loosening nuts and bolts and wiggle stuff around to find what else is holding it will guide you in getting it out. There are two nuts on the top of the door frame holding the silver rods in place as a starter, and there are a couple of rivets holding some other stuff. But first take the bolts that you circled out and remove the window glass CAREFULLY. The glass, as I remember it, is slotted and that is where you make the final adjustments to fit the door closing to the outside frame. Don't over tighten them, only about finger tight and one more half turn. Take your time, take pics if you want to, might help in putting it back together. The motor is riveted to the mount, but a new motor will have bolts/nuts to replace them. The new tape should have instructions on how to thread it. Not much more I can help you with not being there but if you are careful you can do it with a lot of patience, just stop and look at it and take your time. Did this on my Seville 3 yrs ago and memory is a little fuzzy but I hope it helps.

When you finish the job, post your experience which might help someone else doing the same job. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,084 Posts
“I’m sixteen and have no repair experience... my 81 seville.” Wow, Iraymal, you’ve really thrown yourself into the fire. But you’ve clearly got the right attitude. The silver lining is that most things on your car can be fixed by a regular person,.. eventually. Scooter, you’re doing yeoman’s work — bravo.
Iraymal, if you don’t have one yet, I think you’ll need a multimeter pretty soon for checking voltage, amperage, continuity. I like this relatively cheap one; I got mine on eBay used for $20: Amazon.com: INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter: Automotive

Which repair manual do you have?

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
“I’m sixteen and have no repair experience... my 81 seville.” Wow, Iraymal, you’ve really thrown yourself into the fire. But you’ve clearly got the right attitude. The silver lining is that most things on your car can be fixed by a regular person,.. eventually. Scooter, you’re doing yeoman’s work — bravo.
Iraymal, if you don’t have one yet, I think you’ll need a multimeter pretty soon for checking voltage, amperage, continuity. I like this relatively cheap one; I got mine on eBay used for $20: Amazon.com: INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter: Automotive

Which repair manual do you have?

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Thank you for the help. I have the Haynes repair manual for toronado, Riviera, Seville, and eldorado.

·
Registered
1981 Seville V8-6-4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wanted to give a
OK now we are getting somewhere.... You have just analyzed your problem. Yes the glass is connected properly to the mechanism and it moves freely up and down the guides.

Now the solution... The tape is the problem as it is broken and will need replacement which means taking apart all that stuff to get to it and removing it from the door. While it is out, you should replace the motor as well as it is probably an original unit and you don't want to go through all this work again. Just make sure it is plugged in either way.

Can't very much help in describing all the steps you need to get it removed but if you look at each part and see how it is attached, loosening nuts and bolts and wiggle stuff around to find what else is holding it will guide you in getting it out. There are two nuts on the top of the door frame holding the silver rods in place as a starter, and there are a couple of rivets holding some other stuff. But first take the bolts that you circled out and remove the window glass CAREFULLY. The glass, as I remember it, is slotted and that is where you make the final adjustments to fit the door closing to the outside frame. Don't over tighten them, only about finger tight and one more half turn. Take your time, take pics if you want to, might help in putting it back together. The motor is riveted to the mount, but a new motor will have bolts/nuts to replace them. The new tape should have instructions on how to thread it. Not much more I can help you with not being there but if you are careful you can do it with a lot of patience, just stop and look at it and take your time. Did this on my Seville 3 yrs ago and memory is a little fuzzy but I hope it helps.

When you finish the job, post your experience which might help someone else doing the same job. Good Luck!
quick update as to where I'm at right now. I have the window out, but to take the door metal piece off, in pretty sure that I need to get all the wiring unplugged. the one thing that won't seem to unplug no matter what I do to it is the interior door lights ihave a picture of the plug Attached. have you encountered this issue?

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you are referring to the "red" and "white" door panel lights... no problem. They come out from the other side of the door panel from what you have pictured. Take a small screwdriver and pry off the plastic light lens frame carefully. They should pop out, then you can (if I rem correctly) remove the plastic clip from the back of the light housing. I think there are two prongs that attach the plastic wire clip to the light housing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Supplementary information..... The Haynes manual has only minimal info regarding your vehicle, although in a pinch could provide something more detailed than the OEM manual. You might want to check out Item 313152302475 on Ebay. This is the Factory manual which will be more helpful if you intend to learn/work on your '81.

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,084 Posts
p.s. This is the other major official manual for your Seville, the “Fisher Body Manual.” The Fisher covers how to handle body and interior parts, like say, your door. This is cheapest at $11 shipped. Check out the image of the door diagram in the eBay listing:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts