Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding the steering linkage on my 81 Eldorado. The pitman arm removal was last to be removed. Had to use angle grinder to carefully cut it into 3 pieces to loosen from around spline shaft.
My ? is there a tip to installing the new pitman arm as the cross member is too close to the splined shaft from the steering box by about 1/8".
...maybe grind a slot/trough on the pitman arm 1/2" by 1/8'! Don't want to remove steering box.
Pitman Arm removal 1981 Eldorado (15).JPG

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
990 Posts
Hi King, welcome aboard. Appears you have to unbolt the steering gear. See two below from the 1985 FSM. I have zero personal experience, but it appears you unbolt the gear and slide it up and forward a bit for access. The steering gear install section says "On Eldorado and Seville the pitman arm must be installed first."

I suggest you get a paper FSM on eBay if you don't have one yet. Good luck.

IMG_6861 by scottcelder, on Flickr

IMG_6862 by scottcelder, on Flickr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott tx 4 the reply-
...the job as detailed in the GM shop manual is huge. After watching many utube videos of the similar Pitman arm re/re there appeared 2 b many additional challenges ie steering box needs removal to insert puller. Also many instances of pullers, breaking bar breaking or impact wrenches incapable due to massive torque resulting from the ancient splined, tapered fitting. Many recommended cutting Pitman arm off with angle grinder, like I did. Was straight forward. Installing was easier. Used an angle grinder to make a 1 inch by 1/4 inch channel. Marked the steering shaft and Pitman arm and they installed easy!

Tools used- 18" pipe wrench, 12" adjustable wrench,angle grinder , large chisel and hammer.
....this method may b frowned upon by purists but I am a DIY driveway mechanic and a daily driver of 3 Cadillacs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
990 Posts
Well, definitely not a Mr. Goodwrench best practice. The FSM puts that pitman shaft bolt's torque at 185 foot pounds/250 Newton meters. Which is higher than my 1/2" torque wrench goes. I mention it because in your last photo the pitman arm seems lower than in your first photo. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
698 Posts
The pitman arm wasn't a wear item in the past. The engineer that designed this one should have been tarred and feathered. Very poor engineering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts