Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm helping with my father-in-law's 80 Fleetwood Brougham D-Dlegance (2 dr, 50K miles).
Problem #1: Opera lights. I cannot find the electronic inverter to try to find out why one light does not work. I removed the carpet and physically crawled around the trunk and looked in every crevace with a flashlight. I find no electronic inverter. Have I overlooked something??
Problem #2: Wiper/washer motor not working. Fuse marked "wiper" is good. Wiper just does nothing when turned on. Washer clicks when button is pushed, but nothing else happens. How can I tell if the motors need to be replaced? Should I test something else?
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Jay Hoffman

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Hey Jay,
Replace the bad light. The inverter powers BOTH so if one works, the inverter's good. The wiper motor has two wires coming out of it. If you REALLY want to check it, jump 12v and a ground to the wires and see if it runs. Usually, the problem is the timing board located inside the black plastic cover. If you want more info, let me know and I'll go through the troubleshooting procedure with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Kevin. I think now I'm getting somewhere. Can you tell me how to replace the light? We have looked at that light for a long time trying to figure out how to get the cover off (thus why it is still not working). There are no screws or anything obvious to remove to get to the bulb. As for the timing board on the wiper motor...I would like to learn how to test it, but I'm at my in-laws and don't have access to any such tools. I assume I need to remove the motor to find this board? How will I know if it is bad and is that a replaceable part or would I need to buy the whole motor?
Jay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts