Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 seville with 25K original miles. runs real poor until warmed up. my guess would be a coolant temp sensor out of range. does any one know what the reading should be cold. or what the part number would be . are they still available? my local dealer was not much help
any other sugestions?

thanks for your time
gary

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
This engine has a coolant temp sensor and an air temp sensor. Both have the same part number! You can swap them to diagnose. Coolant sensor close to thermostat housing, air temp at the rear of the intake, they look the same. Also this engine has a choke heater in the center of the throttle body that allows the engine to idle high cold. With the air cleaner lid off you will see it. A two wire connector plugs into it. Remove the air cleaner stud from the throttle body, push down on the heater and turn it counterclockwise. It will pop up and out. Clean the bore it sits in and make sure the small micro switch on the side of the heater has the little brass lever still attached. As it heats up from voltage it retracts lowering the curb idle. That part is no longer available and is Seville Eldo specific! the coolant temp sensor was prone to go electrically open and cause a flooding condition so I would suspect it or the wire connector to it. You need a factory service manual if you decide to diagnose this problem. Try E BAY or www.hemmingsmotornews.com.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts