Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm excited to report that yesterday I adopted a 1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance with 61k miles! Colonial yellow with matching top, burnished gold cloth interior. Extremely clean! It was traded in on a new Chrysler minivan!

On the drive home from the dealership, I turned the climate control to economy and, after waiting and waiting, no fan came on and no air came out. Switched to auto LO - - waited - - nothing. Same with AUTO and same with HI. Then switched to defog and the fan came on high! I recall this happened on the 1977 deVille I had many years ago although I cannot remember what causes it and what to do to fix it. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

This forum is great and I appreciate everyone's knowledge and enthusiasm for these neat cars!

Dave

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Check the moulded plug that plugs into the climate control head. The terminals are aluminum and the plastic melts allowing the terminals to pull away from the copper on the board. The fix for this is to pull out any dead terminals, push the wire through the hole in the connector where is came from and solder the wire directly to the board. The small wires can be left in the moulded plug this way. The problem could be elsewhere but not likely.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ape!

Thanks for the advice! Will check it out ASAP! Also thanks for your thoughts on my '81 Fltwd Cpe...still working on that car.

Dave

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
you sure it's Colonial Yellow and not Laramie Beige?

I have the same exact car... '79 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance.... for the first year and a half I owned it, I thought it was Colonial yellow too... I was wrong :)

do you have any pictures of it? post all of them, I'd love to see it!

My first thought was one of the many vaccum lines may be bad, but the electrical connector makes a bit more sense.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi!

I just brought out the '79 color chart and I'm certain it's colonial yellow. Where and how do I post the pictures?

Dave

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Thats cool... I even bought an origanal paint chip chart and STILL thought it was Colonial Yellow :) never bothered to look at the paint number..

when you are posting something, before you click submit school down, there is a box that says manage attachments, click that, then just find your pictures and click upload, then just close that box and submit :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello! Just tried to upload the picture and it's too big! Now what?! By the way, where do I find the color code on the car to be sure of the color? Thanks! Dave

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
you gotta resize it, the maxium it allows is 800x600 and I *think* 190kb....not sure.

Pop the hoog, right by the driver side wiper, near the bottom of the windsheild is a metal plate, you may have to move back the rubber gasket thing for the hood and you'll see all the codes for the car, look at paint code, that'll tell you what number it is.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there Rick!

It is as yellow as they come! #54 - - Colonial Yellow

I'll see if I can resize the pic for you. Do you have an easy suggestion for doing so?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Nice..... I just asked because for one and a half years, I thought my beige car was yellow :) Mine was code 53... or whatever Laramie Beige is :)

Any photo editer will beable to resize a picture... if you have XP it includes a basic editer too.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

#54, Colonial Yellow, is pretty close to #62, Laramie Beige. In the sun there is no question my car is YELLOW. :)

I will try to resize the pics for you.

By the way, I read a little about the hood ornaments in a different thread and mine has the wreath and I prefer the plain crest, personally, since it is correct for the car. I'll swap if you want another wreath and and want to get rid of your plain crest if it is in nice shape.

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you ever figure out whats wrong with the climate control? i have a very similar problem with my 1976 hearse (fleetwood). I've got bigger prblems right now to worry about tho (brakes).

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi 76CaddyHearse!
Ape Man suggested looking at the wiring, which, thankfully, turned out to be fine. The problem was a $10 temperature control switch. Ape Man had a solution for bypassing the switch which is in a separate post (look below for "Help! Need part FAST!". Climate control is working great now!
Good luck!
Dave

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
I should have told you to look at that %^$#@# switch first. Sorry. I forgot about them! I thought all of them were bypassed about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Ape Man!

The funny thing about my car is the title shows the car was purchased by the second owner in 1986 and the car had 53k miles and now has 61k. I'm very sure not much of anything has happened with this car so it's no surprise the remedy you suggested wasn't done. I have a bent rim to take care of before a 1700 mile road trip which I've now put off until Tuesday morning which is when the snow is expected to start coming down! All part of the fun!?!

Thanks for the ideas and help!

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts