Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 SDV
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching the good fellas car scene on you tube
I notice what appears to be a 3rd brake light installed in the car
Were these put in aftermarket?
I doubt they came stock with them
Unless they were that far ahead of their time

Anyways heres the link

If you pause it at 1:55 youll see what im talking about

You can all thank me later for giving you an excuse to watch this for the billionth time except this time its in the name of "research"

:yup:

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
I think that's an after market install. I remember my dad putting one in the back window of my grandfather's '82 Sedan deVille for him when I was a kid.

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
I notice, that car didn't have the power trunk lid pull down. I thought these cars came fully optioned.

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
I notice, that car didn't have the power trunk lid pull down. I thought these cars came fully optioned.
I noticed the lack of the trunk pull down too----Ray Liotta slammed that trunk lid down several times in Goodfellas.
The trunk lock slideable cover is missing too.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Back in 86 when the upper 3rd brake light was mandated by federal law, aftermarket companies made the lights so people could put them in their old cars to either enhance safety or, most likely, to make the old car look newer.

Power trunk lid release/pull-down was an option in 79. Also, in my experience, if you slam hard closed the trunk of a Cad with the power pull down it will override the pull down motor and simply close.

The car in Goodfellas was over 10 years old when the movie was made and Cad was pretty well worn... :)

·
Registered
78 SDV
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back in 86 when the upper 3rd brake light was mandated by federal law, aftermarket companies made the lights so people could put them in their old cars to either enhance safety or, most likely, to make the old car look newer.

Power trunk lid release/pull-down was an option in 79. Also, in my experience, if you slam hard closed the trunk of a Cad with the power pull down it will override the pull down motor and simply close.

The car in Goodfellas was over 10 years old when the movie was made and Cad was pretty well worn... :)
Great answer

Man these cars hold up!!!

I mean the car still looked good.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Yall hold on for a mega post... I could write a book about this. Just gotta find all my pictures. Be back later.... must compost myself, lol.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,390 Posts
Please, don't compost yourself. There are much better ways to fertilize a garden. Take time, and compose yourself, of course!

Awaiting Ben's uber-Phaeton post...

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
As stated, yes, the 3rd brake light was after-market. Since we're on topic of other things noticed about the car, here's a list of what I know.

First off, Goodfellas was not the only movie this car was in. I was also in Cookie, Ghost busters 2, and State of Grace. All filmed around 1989. Cookie came first, the car was in poor shape at that time, though basically the same as it was in Goodfellas. Though in some shots you can see a broken headlight bezel (more on that later). Also notice the miss matched whitewalls & broken rub strips on the front bumper. Though it still has the trunk latch cover, which is missing in Goodfellas.

585 by Cadillac Ben, on Flickr

Notice in this shot, the trunk lock cover is there. But also notice the reflective tape between the rear rub strips, and the AAA sticker. (though it doesn't have the 3rd brake light yet)

Then there's state of grace. In the beginning of the movie, the car has incorrect wheel covers, broken headlight bezel, and a very bent front license plate frame. However, the rub strips aren't broken, and it still has it's hood ornament. It's possible that this segment was filmed before it's appearance in Cookie (again, these movies were all filmed in 1989).

Later in the movie, the car makes another small appearance. However, in the later scenes, the car is missing the hood ornament, has the correct wheel covers (with miss-matched whitewalls) has broken rub strips, and has also been repainted (as it was in Goodfellas.) It's much shinier & has the light gold pinstripe verses the darker one it had earlier in the movie, and it Cookie.

This is the only shot I have from later in the movie, though you can see that the hood ornament is missing, and also that the license plate frame is now straight. Though in a later shot, you can see it exactly as it looks in Goodfellas.

Before we get to Goodfellas, here's the only shot from Ghostbusters 2. It was just a background car that almost hit a baby carriage that was going down the street... The headlight bezel is broken as in Cookie.

Now for Goodfellas. As stated, it's been repainted, and now has a light gold pinstripe. The front rub strips are still broken, and the hood ornament is still missing, though the headlight bezels have been fixed. Still has mis-matched whitewalls too (1.3s on the front, 0.75s on the rear)

Notice the reflective strip as seen in Cookie, and the AAA sticker. Trunk lock cover missing. Also, when they had it painted, they didn't pinstripe the trunk as it would have had originally.

When they had it repainted, the owner added chrome wreaths around the door locks (you can see them when Henry Hill is pulling into his mother-in-law's garage to hide the guns in her trash can) and in the next couple shots

In Goodfellas, it only has a passenger's side chrome door edge molding (the thing that goes along the back edge of the doors) It's on the passenger's side.

Things I don't have screen shots for (or that you can't see very well in these):

There is a dent in the windshield molding, on the top, slightly to the driver's side of the rear view mirror. (you can see it in the first shot from State of grace. You can also see it in Goodfellas while Ray Liotta is looking out the window for helicopters.

The car actually does have auto trunk pull down. I went frame by frame, and in one shot you can see when he slams the trunk, it doesn't go down all the way, only to where it would with the pull down ready to retract.

The vehicle's owner kinda went crazy with the reflective tape, there's also a strip in the driver's side door jamb, covering the body tags. You can see it in the earlier scene in Goodfellas where Ray Liotta & Robert DeNiro are coming out of a diner at night & getting in their cars.

The rubber cover on the floor mounted dimmer-switch is missing, I don't know what that dark square is in the middle/top of the back window (visible in State of Grace & Goodfellas)

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but there's the short rundown. :)

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
The car isn't lowered, it's just sagging a tad. It's still within the "correct" height (rear fender lip is above the top of the wheel.)

Side note, apparently my Phaeton also had a 3rd brake light at some point. There's holes in the rear shelf for one. I'm thinking of putting another one in, if I can find one that looks like that anymore... this after almost getting rear ended three times on my way home from work last Friday. (plus the movie gives me an excuse, lol)

Also, my '84 Cutlass had a 3rd brake light. My grandfather added in '86-ish when the new ones came out with it, so it would look newer & be safer, it wasn't uncommon.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Of course Ben lives, he just spent all all his time watching those movies a gazillion times :suspense:
Maybe the old style trunk pulldown motor bypassed if you slammed the trunk but the newer kind from the 80s with always pull down unless you break it.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
whats the switch he hits on the floor? looks like the high beams, but theres 2 of them

·
Registered
79 Cadillac Coupe DeVilkle Phaeton
2 Posts
I have a Platinum 79 Phaeton with the 3rd light as well. I think they came stock with the Phaeton Pkg. I was going to take mine out as I never seen another until I double checked Goodfellas....now it stays.
I was just watching the good fellas car scene on you tube
I notice what appears to be a 3rd brake light installed in the car
Were these put in aftermarket?
I doubt they came stock with them
Unless they were that far ahead of their time

Anyways heres the link

If you pause it at 1:55 youll see what im talking about

You can all thank me later for giving you an excuse to watch this for the billionth time except this time its in the name of "research"

:yup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts