Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Coupe DeVille's turning signals don't seem to "blink". It just stays on the whole time. Even on the dashboard it does not blink. What could this be? Any solutions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Could be related to you r headlight issue first off...
If not either bulb, flasher or problem with corrosion/ground.
Is neither side blinking? If not i would check flasher first.

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
If the fault is on the one side, but not the other, check the bulb in the socket. Check for corrosion on the contacts or the body. Last check the ground.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
First, make sure all the bulbs are good. If one is burnt out, the turn signal will not blink. Also, check your flasher element. If it's gone bad, the turn signals will not blink.

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm guessing it does have something to do with my headlights. My dimmer switch was corroded. So ima get that fixed ASAP and see if that solves my headlights and turn signals. All bulbs in the signals work, front & back.

Side note: The previous owner probably couldn't fix the headlights since he disconnected the lights from the original wiring to wires he got himself & connected it straight to the battery

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
It'll only solve your headlights. Your turnsignals is a different story and the switch for that is mounted on the steering column under the dash. Has numerous wires going in and out from it.
I wired my headlights like that once on my 1st caddy. Well similar. One wire from battery, another from headlight, touch the two together and viola....power to the headlights. Lol

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So that switch right underneath the column has something to do for the signal lights? I was wondering what that was for. Never minded it much. What does that do?

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
Not sure what switch you are talking about. Do you have a picture?
The turn signal flasher will not look like a switch - just a cylinder or cube with contacts on one end.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Swap the 4 way flasher unit for the turn signal flasher. The 4 way is in the fuse box, it's either silver yellow or light blue, the turn signal one is attached to the steering column usually on the right side on the steering column bracket. I presume you tried the 4 ways??

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
The turn signal flasher is also in the fuse block, not under the steering column. You're thinking of the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Not sure what switch you are talking about. Do you have a picture?
The turn signal flasher will not look like a switch - just a cylinder or cube with contacts on one end.

there's the pic..it says turn-hazard switch...also next to it, part of whole assembly, is the cornering light switch.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The turn signal flasher is also in the fuse block, not under the steering column. You're thinking of the neutral safety switch.
Actually on mine, it's not. Mine is located behind the dash bezel to the right side. If you remove the radio bezel it's to the left side. It's attached there to a clip and the turn signal flasher clips in.

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, sorry for the very late reply. Got my phone replaced. So I got the dimmer switch swapped out and it fixed my headlight problem. But my turn signals still don't work. All turn signals lights work from back to front. Like I said, once I turn on a signal, it just stays on. Doesn't blink on the speedometer dash nor outside. I can now send photos to let you see what I have. You just got to direct me to where I can look for the problem. Since I don't even know where the fuses are.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
Find the blinker flasher and replace it.

There are two flashers. One for the hazard lights and one for the blinker.

The flasher for the blinker is located near the steering column tucked up under there where it will make some sound when it clicks.

Others say they are all in the fuse box under the parking brake. I guess they changed them.

Flasher looks like a small aluminum or plastic can the size of a large screw on soft drink cap. It has two prongs and plugs in.

Not all flashers are equal. The later ones were electronic and you could swap between the hazard and blinker flashers as a test. Earlier ones were current specific with the hazard flasher setup for more current.

Turn on the hazards and look for the clicky thing to learn where the hazard flasher is.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
17 posts and you haven't swapped the hazard flasher for the turn signal flasher?

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I barely got my phone replaced yesterday so no way to getting to this website. But I'll be doing it later this week. I'm out of country right now

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found the hazard light blinker. But don't know what to do with it. Don't want to mess around much .. But let me show you what I'm working with

1 - 20 of 21 Posts