Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's dad is getting rid of his 79 Coupe for $500. The car is that yellow color, good interior, seats are good, headliner is down, cracked arm rests, some color fading, not bad though. Body is in good shape, there's some rust and the rear bumper fillers are starting to rot and crack. The chrome is all nice and shiny though. Car has less than 100,000 miles and the 425 is pretty clean looking. I'm told it runs, car had no battery in it and this was 11:30 tonight so I didn't try to start it. My friend's dad has wire wheels but I don't know if they're coming with the car since it had black walls and what looked like Oldsmobile hubcaps on it and to keep the price at $500 I doubt they're coming along for the ride. What do you think?! Should I go for it? Car is over all in good shape, could sell it for $1,000 in my opinion but they just want the space back. For $500, I can't see any wrong in it.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Dope, this has been your modern day dream car :) If it was me, for $500, hell yes!

ok... "that yellow color" like.... that yellow color of my '79 or the real yellow, which looks like my beige?

leather inteiror? hope not.. they were ugly and worn more easy then cloth... but, not bad...

cracked arm rest... ITS A CADDY! lol I think enable for a car to be a Caddy the arm rest has to crack once it reaches 10 years old. Sadly the '93 Coupe is now a real Caddy... while the '79 isn't. Go figure :)

bumper fillers you can get new for like $150 for the front and $250 for all the back (license plate and everything)

miles on a car like this don't mean as much as how it was taken care of... that ebing said, a 425 and TH400 can go wayyy more then 100k.

Coupes are geting rare.

I got my Sedan, with its share of issues for $300 (you know the story) kind of a love-hate thing... at first I hated the thing, only liked it because it was a classic Cadillac.... but now, its almost exactly what I would like... so I really like the car....alot now... and being away from it for only a month makes me desire it so much more.

once you experience the 425, you are gonna laugh at the 307..... kinda sad because the 425 isn't a wild banshee to begin with :) just pickin....

pics?

really though, I think it would be great, these cars are alot of fun... it won't be "new" to you becuase the Brougham is pretty much the same thing, but NO computer at all, great engine/drivetrain makes these fun to work on and enjoy.

So I'll be the first to say, GO FOR IT!

This could be you:

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha I want to, I just gotta get the ok from my dad on space. I figure with what needs to be done $500 is pretty fair since all it needs is a mild cosmetic work over. Car has the opera lamps too and an almost immaculate vinyl top, pretty sweet. Leather interior, I hope those wire wheels come with it. The Olds hubs and blackwalls look pretty bad. I know it was well cared for since the Wileys are an automotive family and do restoration so this car was well cared for. I want me a coupe and this appears to be it.

·
Registered
1974 fleetwood 75, 1980 sedan deville, 1970 eldo
319 Posts
well heck if anyone else is interested Ive got a 79 sedan and a 77 coupe deville and Ill take 500 for both of them. anyone interested let me know and I post all the details.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I have $500 burning a hole in my pocket right now. The wife doesn't need that much for Christmas anyway.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I think those yellow cars look the best with matching yellow leather interior. But leather doesn't look good when it's old. I like the 80s coupes a lot better then the 70s ones but if you really like it and have the room for it get it.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well room is the concern..... My Fleetwood takes up a lotta space on my driveway and my parents complain about garage access since I have a very funny shaped driveway. I also have my 99 Malibu on the driveway. I gotta sell the whole idea to my dad first. Which won't be easy...

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,173 Posts
Hey DopeStar, I say buy the Coupe DeVille for $500. In my opinion those are best looking coupe deville's 77-79 (I like the grill on the 79s better and that wood grain). If your dad is like my dad then convincing him that another cadillac is going to join the house hold is not a problem.

If you want me to convince him for you, let me know, I do it all day long at the car lot I work at.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha go for it. I know they won't let me put it on the lawn, that's a given. I want to buy it and if he ok's it I will. I think for what needs to be done to it paying $500 for it is more than fair. I could always touch up the paint with some spray shit..... I can live with the interior being a mess and I can temporarily pin the headliner or something. I do like it, and I do want it.

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
what the :hitstick: BUY IT JACKASS what the hell? 500 bucks?!?! who cares about space... 500 bucks for a 79 COUPE DEVILLE, damn id be on that like a virgin in a whorehouse!

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
93fleetwoodlowlow said:
what the :hitstick: BUY IT JACKASS what the hell? 500 bucks?!?! who cares about space... 500 bucks for a 79 COUPE DEVILLE, damn id be on that like a virgin in a whorehouse!
Fine! But I wanna be in your sig!! Haha. Starting and possibly driving it tomorrow and seeing it in the daylight. Pics will be taken and posted.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
sizanjdf said:
well heck if anyone else is interested Ive got a 79 sedan and a 77 coupe deville and Ill take 500 for both of them. anyone interested let me know and I post all the details.
I am interested, I just don't know if I can buy or not seeing that I already have three cars and I live with my parents(I'm 15) anyway can you post up the info on them please? but I could only buy the '77 Coupe if thats a problem.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Benzilla said:
I am interested, I just don't know if I can buy or not seeing that I already have three cars and I live with my parents(I'm 15) anyway can you post up the info on them please? but I could only buy the '77 Coupe if thats a problem.
Oh sh*t I'm sorry I just went and looked at your topic about them and saw the Coupe, I can't take on another project right now, so nevermind, sorry.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

As you can see it's a little rough around the edges but it looks doable. The only things I noticed don't work are the inside trunk release which I prefer be broken, I'd rather use the key, and the horn doesn't work. Car starts, runs, brakes are new, trans was rebuilt in 94 I saw the reciept, Car has approx. 150k on it not <100k. No holes in the floor or anything like that, the 425 runs smoothly with no knocking or sputtering, everything works. If my dad ok's it I'm gonna go pick it up. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
nice! for 500 bucks you cant beat that. yeah, its very fixable, your looking at a good winter project. id go with new paint, same color, but new. that and some new hubcaps... hey, there is a swap shop with two different sets of Cadillac hubcaps for 10 bucks a peice. one set has the symbol with a black background and the other set has the symbol with a red background. ill pick them up for you if ya want. or i can get contact info if you prefer... it will be next weekend before i can get it. anyway, good luck, hope your dad approves, looks like a fun project. the interior doesnt look too god awful bad, get some leather cleaner, carpet cleaner, and a vaccum cleaner and you'll be good to go. the hood ornament looks new, is it?

oh and the sig, your already part of the family, we just got to get a pic of a mobster and have someone chop it in so i can post it. i am shocked there are so many people that want to be a part of the Family.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts