Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hoping someone can shed some knowledge before I go mad,just bought a 1978 5.7 caddilac seville. Been off road for a couple of years, changed a few bits etc, but it's got a problem that when you love it from park to drive/reverse the engine stalls. Works fine when the auto choke thing is on when it's cold, but as soon as it warms up it stalls when its moved to D. Once its moving it's fine, drives nice, changes gear etc, but when you come up to the lights it stalls. Tried increasing idle speed etc but made no difference. It seems ok when doing it from cold. Anyone got any ideas to try? Could old trans oil cause this.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
776 Posts
A vacuum leak will drag the idle down when you put it in drive. Actually the vacuum leak makes the idle artificially high then when you put it in gear the idle is too low. I would verify good vacuum and/or look for a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
96 FWB
747 Posts
Vacuum likely tops the list, and then ignition timing would be a close 2nd for me. The increased issue when it's warm points me to electrical and/or ignition resistance, along with an old or otherwise weakened electrical component.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts