Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im brand new to this whole "cadillac" experience, but i am in the navy and stationed in upstate new york and ive decided i want a coupe deville. i found a 1980 one for $1500 with 52k miles, and a 1978 one for $3500 with 92k miles. both are leather, the 80 on is like a nasty brownish yellow, and the 78 is a pimp black, and the 78 has one of those wheel casings on the back. im sure by my lingo you realized i have no idea about cars at all.

so which is the better bet? consider id want to paint the ugly color of the 80 one if i was to buy it, so count that in the expense column. just by looks, the 78 is more appealing to me.

also the 78 has am/fm/8 track/cassette, but i mean me being 18 and wanting a nice system in there, do you know of anywhere i could get a "retro deck" or anything like that, a high end deck that wouldnt take away from the nostalgia? or maybe some way i could buy a deck and use the old panel for it? thanks!

ill post pics of the cars when i figure out how to! haha

scott
[email protected]

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Well I like the more squarish look of the '80 and it's $2000 cheaper with less miles. Primer the car until you got the bankroll to paint the color you like. So I vote for the '80. At that price it gives you some money to play with the car. Oh and welcome to the forums.:welcome:

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
On looks, I'd agree, I like the 80 look better.

But the '78 has the 425 engine. I think that the '80 got the "pre-V8-6-4" 368 engine. In 1981 they used the same block but screwed it up with 8-6-4. It wasn't a bad engine, but overall the year was not a good one for Cadillac. My book says that sales dropped 27% in 1980.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
The 78 had the 425, the 80 had the 368 (non 8-6-4). The 78's probably a bit quicker. The 78 is probably the better car. But at $2000 differance, you can buy the 80 and paint it and if you felt like it drop a 500 in it with the money you save. Go with the 80.

As for a cd deck... there really dont seem to be any that look retro, but most look ok. If you don't want to slash the dash you can put it in the glove box and retain the original look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

well thanks for your opinions guys. i basically think the mileage and cost alone have convinced me to go with the 80. the 78 looks pretty pimp, but im just gonna paint the 80 a deep blue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

thanks for all your opinions. upon further thinking, im gonna go with the 80. the price, the mileage, its just what im looking for right now. im in the navy and im gonna be moving to san diego in february and i want something that i might even wanna drive cross country from new york to there. i am just gonna paint it a deep blue.

about the deck, i am just gonna get a changer for the trunk and run the wires up and maybe i wont even have to touch the old one. i was also thinking about maybe removing the old stereo and putting in the new one and sit it a little farther back, and then removing the cover off the old deck and just kinda have it sit in front of the new one so looks can be deceiving ya know?

also, that "big chunk of plastic" that connects the roof to the trunk and holds the back window in place, can i just paint over that or do i have to get it replaced? break it down for me lol. thanks guys!

scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts