Cadillac Owners Forum banner

'76 Fleetwood - HT leads part#?

694 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  425 Dual Quad 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Got hold of a '76 Fleetwood Brougham a couple of weeks back - that makes 3 of the things!! '76, '93 and '94!
I've posted a pic so hope it comes out OK!

I've got it running a little better but it really needs new Ht leads - it has 4 red ones from something and 4 black ones, neither of which really fit onto the spark plugs properly.

I guess a new distributor cap wouldn't go amiss either.

Does anyone know the GM part number for the right HT leads - a full set of 8 so I can order them from my frieldnly local Cadillac dealer in Atlanta. I need to order some service items for the '93 and he posts stuff to me here in Ireland cheaply via USPS and it normally arrives in under a week!

Alternatively does anyone have a new / unused/ unwanted set sitting in thier parts store they want to pass on for a fair price please?

regards & thanks
nick

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow, she's clean, and she's got white leather!

#6 ·
Thanks - yes nice car.

I got a set of HT leads [sorry spark plug wires - we call them HT leads!] from my friendly cadillac dealer; Capital Cadillac in Atanta. Original delco parts in what looks like the original box and and instruction sheet dated March 89! All for $45.

However I think I may have them on wrong. I put them on replacing one at a time but I'm left with one lead too short so I guess I made a mistake putting them on or goofed in some other way. I haven't started the car yet.

What confuses me is the HEI distributor seems to have 4 terminals designed to point to one side and 4 terminals designed to point to the other side. I have 3 leads on the upper hand side going to the right bank and have 3 leads on the lower hand side going to the left bank. One lead from each side crosses over. I think this is wrong.

I know the firing order is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8 and counter.

Does this mean the distributor rotates counter clockwise? Where is #1 cylinder on the engine - front left? [when viewing the car from the back]
and where is #1 on the distributor cap please?

The previous owner marked it up but I would like to check it.

So if the firing order is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8 does this mean all the right bank fires first and then all the left bank? Seems a bit odd for balance of the motor or is this normal.

If this is the case then I shoudl have 4 wires going from one side of the distributor to that side cylinder bank and 4 wires going from the other side of the distributor to the other side cylinder bank, no?

If this is the case then all the wires would be long enough to fit and would make for a neater looking install.

I also put a post in the 500 engine tech section

Please advise!!

thanks Nick :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.