Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Eldorado Convertible
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the glove box lock? My round key that opens the trunk doesn't lock the glove box so I want to bring it to a locksmith. I don't see a nut or clip to remove it.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Ricky,

Your trunk key should work on the glove box door. Did one of the two locks get chaged at some point? Because you can't remove the lock cylinder without using the key, according to the factory service manual. If the two don't match, you'll probably have to have the glove box lock rekeyed.

Craig

·
Registered
1976 Eldorado Convertible
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Craig, thanks for the response. The round key does not work for the glove box but it works for the two doors and the trunk. I guess the lock must have been changed at some point. I understand that I need to have the glove box lock re-keyed. I need to know how to remove the lock in order to bring it in to a locksmith.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
1975 hearse, 1976 hearse
865 Posts
Sometimes with older glove box and console locks, the internal "fingers" in the lock cylinder break off due to age and the lock jams. Even with the right key it's not going to open.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Ricky,

Your best bet is just to remove the glove box door and take the whole thing to the locksmith. It's not hard to do. Best of luck! :)

Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts