Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new here and may need some direction regarding posting. I am about to make a 33 year dream come true by purchasing a 76 Eldorado convertible. This has turned into quite an adventure but I may have found the car that I have been looking for. I will be flying to look at the car on Thursday September 10th. The car has 7800 miles on it and I believe has been corrently stored and cared for over the years. The issue that I have is the tires. They are the original tires and I have been told that they should be replaced at once. Thats fine but I am having trouble with the correct whitewall width and finding the best supplier and would really like some help. I know that when the cars were new most of the cars that I saw had the wider whitewall but ocassionally I would see a new car with a very narrow whitewall. I definitely want to put the wider whitewalls on the car. Were these bias belted tires or radials? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Congratulations! It sounds as though you have located a real "beauty!" The 1971 through 1976 Eldorado Convertibles are highly collectible and among the finest of American dream-machines available! Mine is a 1971, although I can admire all those model years. Since 2004, I've replaced my tires with a wider whitewall similar to the tires original by the factory in 1976, which were a steel belted radial. Here is a link, to a specialty tire made by Goodyear, called the "Broadway Shadow" and it is the latest version of what I've had on my car:

http://www.onlinetiredealer.com/specialty/brdwy.asp

I brought such a link to my Cadillac dealer, and they ordered the tires in, and mounted and balanced them. You should also obtain new valve stems, unique to these cars, and there is a seller on e-bay who still features them for a nominal cost. Mine have had no problems retaining air, look great, and ride nicely. I have put around 5,700 "gentle" miles on them, without visible wear yet. Hope this helps--and be sure to post a picture of your car when you get it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congratulations. The '76 Eldo convertible was truly the flagship. I bought mine with 9,500 miles on it. Firethorn red. White leather. White top. The one thing I discovered very quickly was that these cars were more age sensitive than mileage. The first year I replaced the brake booster, ECU, both fuel pumps, tires, brakes, brake hoses, shocks & battery. Mine was fuel injected - had system cleaned and re-worked. All four fender fillers were replaced and painted to match. At that point, it was like new. As for tires, I put on a Uniroyal Steel radial. White wall matched the originals. I sold the car 3 years later and made a small profit. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well am new too i just had my 76 convertible eldorado too .. congrats ..
i have question guys where can i get parts from ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts