Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 deville conv, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 76 Coupe DeVille
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 76 Coupe DeVille "barn find" with 18,000 original miles is like showroom new except that it was parked in a garage for 39 years with windows that allowed the afternoon sun to bake the rear bumper. The fillers are shot as you can see in the pic.

I have replacement fillers in hand and have badly damaged one of the plastic chrome trim pieces. I've searched threads on this form and have yet to find a discussion covering possible replacement material for these strips.

My friendly restoration guy gives me an even more friendly price when I round up parts and prep the car for his work. What would you guys use for replacement of the plastic chrome trim??

The damaged section runs between the license plate and the bumper end. I'm thinking if I can't get an exact match I can replace both sides of just that section with a different dimension and get away with a good look.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Plastic/ Mylar door edge guard material. It already has the 3M adhesive on it. Cut to fit.

·
Registered
66 deville conv, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 76 Coupe DeVille
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea who has a wider door edge guard? The ones I've been able to find are pretty thin and don't come close to giving the look of the original.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Any idea who has a wider door edge guard? The ones I've been able to find are pretty thin and don't come close to giving the look of the original.
No, but wider would not stick to the skinny ABS and fiberglass replacements.

·
Registered
Currently: '76 Coupe. '73 Fleetwood (SOLD) 76 Coupe (SOLD)
161 Posts
Boveman,
Are you looking for this trim? I replaced it myself. The door edge guard they sell today LOOKS NOTHING AT ALL like the original. I had to do some searching for places that produced V-channel moldings that were flexible and able to be cut and mitered correctly.
I can be done. Good Luck.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts