Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm considering the purchase of a 75 Eldorado Convertible, and am curious- do any of you have experience with these cars in the snow? I would think being that heavy, and FWD that it would be pretty good, with all that weight on the drive wheels, but wanted to get the opinion of someone with some real experience. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
1995 Eldorado
7 Posts
The most fun i ever had driving was for the winter's that i owned a '68 Toronado with the 455 ci engine. Because of the horrible gas mileage, i drove no faster than 55 on the freeway, the speed limits at the time. needless to say, i was continuously passed as i puttered along. but when it snowed hard, they would only plow 2 out of 3 lanes, and i would get in the unplowed lane and go... 55! I was the only car that i ever saw going faster than about 35!! Only once did anyone try to keep up, and it was a 4WD pickup that quickly gave up.

i perfected reverse brodie's and other shenanigans, and to this day i think that car could've been used to plow snow.

i've concluded that those heavy heavy fwd cars are superior to any other legal vehicle on almost any bad roads, to over about a foot of snow.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
I once had a '73 Eldo. It was a 5200 lb tank. Snow never stopped it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's promising! I know the 70's ones were the heaviest, so I thought that would be in it's favor. I'll be going to check it out early next week. I'll keep you guys up to date!

-Jon

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a 76 eldo, when I lived in Buffalo,NY, never had a problem except when my front disks collapsed during a blizzard. Had the old 500 cu. inch.

·
Registered
76 Eldorado Conv 2001 STS
12 Posts
I had a 76 Eldo Convertible in Snowy Scotland back in 1994 and the snow wasn't an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DBJTS,
Wow, so when you said the snow wasn't an issue, you weren't kidding. Top down and all!

This is definetly encouraging. I'm going to check it out on Sunday. It's for sale by the side of the road. I took a look at it on my own, and this is what I discovered:

It has a dead battery from sitting so long. The inspection says 1996!:shhh: I checked all fluids, and they seemed to be in good order. I'm sure it'll need a new battery by this point. It hasn't been sitting for TOO long though, cause there was still hydraulic pressure in the brakes. Also, front 2 tires are flat :bonkers: not sure what that means. At any rate, the guy is asking best offer, and the body's good. Convertible top appears solid, no rips. However, I noticed a slight mildew smell to the interior.

Any ideas of what would be thought to be a fair offer? The owner claims it has 85,000 miles, but I don't know that for sure. I was thinking around $1,500, just because of how long it's sat, and possible restoration needs. What would you guys say?

-Jon

·
Registered
76 Eldorado Conv 2001 STS
12 Posts
The rag top has what can best be described as a gutter system in the trunk which directs rain water through the trunk and out in the rear wheel wells. If it’s not set up right it will just dump the water straight in to the trunk, it’s a safe bet that that’s the cause of your mildew smell.
The two front tires being flat means there’s no air in them. :cookoo:
$1500 sounds like no money to me.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
A guy I worked with years ago had a 75 Eldorado Coupe. Fabulous in the snow. We took it to a meeting in Madison during a blizzard once... we were the only ones who made it!!!

A very nice car.

I personally would offer him $1000 and see what he says.... you really don't know what might be wrong with it. Sitting for so long is generally not good. At the very least you're looking at 4 new tires, new battery, new brakes all the way around, Plugs wires rotor cap, fuel filter, and that's just for starters.

This may or may not be conclusive, but I would be very tempted to take a good battery with me , hook it up, and see if it at least STARTS. See if it at least TURNS OVER, even, would be a good sign. If it won't turn over, you may want to keep looking.... I know, smart people on this forum are reading the word "Starts" and laughing their asses off, but I have seen it happen. In 1993, I saw a 73 Eldorado, beached in a garage, owner deceased for over 10 years, car ignored... with a fresh battery, it started. So, it can happen.

Let's just suppose you found one for, say, $3500, that was running, maybe had a couple minor issues, but it's been running and is running now.... that might be the better way to go.

Some of my friends have bought these old cars that have been sitting... some results were good, some were not. It can get expensive. Hell, my Dad's neighbor in Florida just picked up a 95 Eldorado that had been sitting for 3 years, and there have been a few issues.... 75 is a lot older than 95.

I would be cautious, personally. If you can steal it, go ahead. If you're not afraid of a potentially mind-numbing project, go ahead. As they say, it's a roll of the dice.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,
The Eldorado hasn't been sitting at it's present location since 1996. I travel this route once or twice a week, and just saw it a month or two ago. It's at a dealership. However, it has a phone number on the windshield, which is NOT the number of the dealership, and it has a 1996 inspection registration on it. So I'm wondering where it's been before it got to the dealership. Perhaps it sat at some guy's house for 9 years, then he had it towed to the dealership? However, brakes, steering, and gas pedal were all free, which makes me think it must have been driven there.

I dunno, I'll find out more when I talk to the guy. Hopefully tomorrow.

-Jon

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
gl man i have a 74 eldo vert and she hauls nuthin stops her (mainly cuz nothin wants to even try lol)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, as it turns out, after talking to the guy, it sounds like the owner is considering keeping it. He's going to take it to be inspected, and if it passes, he's keeping it, if not, then he may sell. So basically that means I'll only get it if it needs a lot of work.

I'm not going to sit and wait for this one, I'm still keeping my eyes open for other Caddies. There's a 91 Sedan Deville in the paper, says high miles, but excellent body, interior and running condition. I've been trying to get ahold of him, but whenever I call the phone is busy:confused: so either this guy's a real talker, or he's on the internet or left the phone off the hook.

There's also an 89 Eldorado, 144k, $1500. I don't really know much about those Eldos, other than my Aunt had one back in the day. I was a little kid, too young to really take anything in, other than I thought it looked good. Any impressions on that generation Eldo?

The search continues....
-Jon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts