Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Looks like she's had a hard life. Glad to see someone's taken her under his wing and is willing to take proper care of her! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all,

Thanks for the input. I was going to post the pics back when I had a different moniker (and since forgot the password). I got her back in March last year from a friend and fellow Caddy fan. Her life couldn't have been all that hard (only 76k original miles), aside from just sitting for years. The car runs terrific and drives the same, just added gas and took her over a hundred miles home without incident.

I managed to pull some parts from a Fleetwood in a scrap yard to get rid of the worst of the rust, the hood, trunk lid and passenger fender and got them on. More pics to come.

:bouncy:

·
Super Moderator 2011 CTS SportWagon
9,461 Posts
First step: get the vinyl off, and take out the back window. You will need to completely clean everything down to the metal to see what needs to be patched.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jayoldschool sez "First step: get the vinyl off, and take out the back window. You will need to completely clean everything down to the metal to see what needs to be patched."

By this time I'm already way ahead of ya buddy! The demolished vinyl is long gone, the roof was terribly rusted underneath, some spots all the way through. The '76 Fleetwood in Albion's scrap yard was who I cannibalized for this car so far (that still pretty blue Fleet must hate my guts) provided all the parts rusted through, I still need more pics, I know, too much caffeine, but the bodywork is completely done on the car at this time, and I'm working on the interior and buying the last of the Championship White paint and some performance engine pieces (was gonna rebuild the 500, but not needed! A water pump, A/C Compressor and V/C and intake gasket set is all and even in excess!) The car is now completely primer gray with a dismantled interior switched from black leather to white. Pics soon!

:bouncy: Bud Light by night, Dunkin Donuts by morning!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still waiting on feedback for what exhaust to put in her by the way. I know I want duals but don't want to wake the dead, any feedback welcome.

:bouncy: People say I live on the edge, ...of ordinary.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Do you want true duals, or a Y pipe? I'd say just run duals with high quality replacement mufflers, just because you have duals doesn't mean it'll be loud. My '72 Eldorado has true duals with Chrry Bomb glass-packs.. And it's *still* not loud. Very nice low gurgle from behind, it sounds like Christine. But doesn't get loud unless you put your foot through it.

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
Glass packs are SUPPOSED to be loud when you stomp it. :)

I want to do true duals on the wagon sometime, and make them exit just in front of the front wheels. Super cool.

Exhaust vid of your Eldorado? :D

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
It's up in Morristown, I'm in Chattanooga... But as soon as I get up there, you got it. ;) Planning on going up next weekend. I have to fix a screaming belt before it sounds good, though.

But man that thing can move! I really want to race a few people before I sell it. From 30 to 60 WOT puts you back in the seat so hard it's difficult to keep your foot on the gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To answer your question, I had a Y pipe on my '84 Cutlass and it sounded nice with stock exhaust, but I'm doing true duals on the CDV (still awaiting a nice female name for it), manifold-minus cat converter (if anyone wants it let me know, it's still OK) to tailpipe.
My question was really about muffler selection. I want a bitchin' classic big boat sound without a noise ordinance ticket (I'm sandwiched between yuppies and work nights), not a lifted 50 inch rim job with a fart cannon, she's a tasteful resto-mod. I want to do stock dual exhaust on my 5th Ave (the single pipe sounds so nice I just have to spend my tax refund on twin pipes for Devon too!)

Women say I never listen to them, ...or something like that! :bouncy: Swizzy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts