Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/166654-might-getting-72-eldorado-love-some.html

Hi guys, If the mods mind this, feel free to take it down, but I would like to post a link to my Eldorado's topic in this forum, as it caters to the classics *way* more than the Eldo/Seville forum. In the land of euro styled FWD '90s Cadillacs, my old Eldo is the minority by far. So, post here, post in the link, whatever you feel like, I just think I'd find more like-minded people in my home forum than the other one.

Just updated with a book of a post last night, explaining what all has been going on since I bought it. I think you guys might be more interested in reading it than some poor soul trying to figure out what went wrong in the Northstar age...

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
hey man, sorry to hear about all the trouble with your eldorado. To me, it's a question of choice...You can either sell it and get out now if the car just isn't attached to you...or you can keep it and fixing it up will be a labor of love.

I love my 69, which is why I'm doing everything I can to fix her up :)

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Whew!! Just finished reading the Eldo opus magnum. Here's my thoughts. Whether you want to sell it or keep it, you have to get it in running condition. Otherwise, you'll have to hope you find someone as eager for the car as you were who wants to spend the money to fix it up. So, sort out the mechanicals.

As for the top, loose it. It's just trapping moisture and exacerbating any rust issues that are there. DO THIS BEFORE THE MECHANICAL WORK! If the body panels under the top are badly rusted, mechanical work is pointless. At that point, you may as well sell it for parts and be done. If the body is solid, though, leave the top off (it'll look like hell, but hey...) and go from there.

To keep or not to keep? Well, how badly do you want a second-gen FWD Eldo? I mean, you have quite a stablefull already. How much does this car mean to you and is it worth the resources needed to resurrect it to your standards? Resources that could be going to your other cars, some of which I know mean much more to you than the Eldo. And, how patient are your folks? Will they let you keep your various and sundry projects at their place indefinitely? All stuff to think about.

Oh, and the car's name is Marc.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
First of all, I think they should change the name of this forum to "All RWD and pre '85 Cadillacs".

Secondly, you need to prioritize. Before you can determine whether you are keeping the car or selling it, you have to get it running. And before you can worry about the cosmetics, you have to get it running.

You can, cheaply, do a lot of the work yourself, if you have the correct service literature. I recommend purchasing a Factory Service Manual. After you've sorted out the simple problems, then you can have a garage repair the more complex issues that are beyond your skills. After the car is mechanically sound, then you can decide if it is worth your time to continue the restoration, or if you want to sell it.

I do agree that you should loose the top intimidate; it might have been installed to hide body rot and keeping it on is just ruining the roof. But the other cosmetic issues can wait until the car is drivable. Unless it's road worthy, the headlight shields and a thermometer mirror will only look pretty to the vultures.

As for a name; Ferguson could be applicable. It's a derivative of the Irish name, Fergus, which means "Man of Strength."

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, guys! I appreciate it. Most everything stated, I think I already knew, but it's hard to rationalize when you're so close to the subject.

Though I agree about getting the roof off, there's still a part of me that kinda thinks if I just want to sell it fast, it should be left on for cosmetic purposes... and to hide what might be lurking. I know that wouldn't be right though... guess I'll have to bite the bullet. There's even bubbles along the center seam by the back window.. that worries me. But other than the roof, there's very little rust on this car. - the bottoms of the doors aren't even rusty! - it's a low mileage car that sat for eight years, so sad what time will do. Believe it or not, the odometer says something like 66k, and I honestly don't think it has rolled over. Everything wrong with this car is from sitting & neglect.

Even the interior is pretty nice, dry leather on the front seats, and a sagging headliner is really all that a day of tinkering wouldn't fix.

If someone can teach me hot to replace belts, I'd be glad to do that myself. I should know how anyway, but I don't. Isn't there a sequence in which they have to be done, to get to all of them? Also, do you loosen the pulleys, or just stretch the belts?

I there a place anybody would suggest to but new hoses/belts? Just Advanced Auto, or where? The shop wanted $377 to install all new hoses & belts. That seems a staggering amount to pay for pieces of rubber! I know it won't be cheap, but damn!

Second biggest annoyance is the trans dipstick. As stated, the top broke off, and now I've lost both pieces, so I don't know how long the replacement needs to be. I know it leaks trans fluid, so I can't drive it until I get a dipstick.

Craig, what made you think of Marc? Sven, Ferguson sounds really fitting for some reason, I just might have to go with that!

Ben

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I still say you should get the service manual. It will give a step by step process for removing the belts from a 500 (there is a sequence and you have to loosen the accessories brackets to get them off, and installation requires adjustment).

If you take the roof off and there is too much rot to work with, then try selling the car as is (don't expect more than its scrap worth). If you can't sell it like that, and don't want to junk it (don't junk it) then have someone slap the top back on and make sure the engine is fixed; don't worry about the other cosmetic issues.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might have to do that. No chance the sequence would be the same as a 425, would it?

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
The name "Marc" occurred to me because it's a traditional, masculine name for a traditional, masculine car. Plus, the name and that particular spelling of it was quite popular when this Eldo was new. My mom often tells me Craig was a popular name also in 1972, but I've only met a very few people of any age who share my first name. You meet Marks/Marcs coming and going. Mom never was too straight up with me. :lol:

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
We've been through this a few years ago. Eldorados don't have a lot in common with these RWDs at all. If we're going to open this area up to them we might aswell open it up to every RWD GM ever made and that aint gonna happen. If anything the Eldorado/Seville forum should get a seperate section for the big ones. CTS is already split up a few times those all have a lotmore in common then the 30+ years of Eldorados do that are all stuck in one forum.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the guys in here know a lot more about these old boats than anybody that frequents the Eldo forum. It's not all about how much the specific cars have in common, as much as common minded individuals. And my Eldo does have the same engine used in many '70s RWD Cadillacs. Same block as half the guys on here. Do you think a '72 Eldorado has more in common with a '72 DeVille/Fleetwood, or a 2002 Eldorado/Seville?

Just saying...

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
^Agreed

Plus, if they added another forum specifically for vintage Seville and Eldorado models, then it would become something like the Owner's Garage, Cadillac Commercials, Cadillac Reviews, 5.0/5.7, V6, PCM Tuning, or the Allante FAQ forums; used incorrectly with irrelevantly topics and/or seldomly used, with 3 year old threads still on the first page.

I would like to see how many threads on the Eldorado/Seville forum pertain to vintage cars, and how many were answered with helpful information. I asked a question about an '80's Seville FWD on their forum, and never got a response in 6 months (I bumped the thread once or twice). I asked the same question in the RWD section and had a response the same day.

Both the Eldorado and the Seville were rear wheel drive at one point. Even when they were made front wheel drive, they shared the same engines and their RWD counterparts. It wasn't until 1986 that Cadillac published an Eldorado/Seville exclusive service manual; before that they were included in Full-line Manuals of as part of the Fleetwood Brougham Service literature. So anyone on the RWD forum who has the FSM for their pre-'86 RWD, also has helpful service information, plus real world experience with the mechanicals, and therefore can better aid aid Eldorado and Seville owners.

On top of that, the people on the Eldorado/Seville forum all drive plasicrap, disposable, rolling heaps of worthlessness. A restoration thread would probably include some helpful information about cleaning dingy whitewalls, buffing the paint to a nice gloss, or lubricating a squeaky door. The owner of a thirty year old car needs more reliable information from people who actually own a thirty year old car.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Posts related to drivetrains, engine tuning etc... belong on the engine sections not in the general model sections. Knock that out and yes they are different cars. When Eldorados were rear wheel drive it was pretty much a name just like Fleetwood. After that point they became front wheel drive with completely different bodies. Same with Sevilles except they were never front wheel drive until the 80s and even the older ones never had anything in common with other RWD Cadillacs. All the arguments about the older ones going in here can be used for the 80s and newer ones going into the FWD Deville/Fleetwood section so there might aswell not be an Eldorado/SeVille section at all.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I consider myself a RWD Seville expert but I never go into the Seville forum because it is mostly FWD postings. I can see how a person with an older Edorado wouldn't get much help over there. I know we can't have another forum for them because there are almost too many different sections here already. I guess the Seville Eldo owners will just have to barge in here once in a while; shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
I also agree that this forum should be renamed to just like..."Classic Cadillacs" or something similar. I only visit this forum and I'm only interested in classics, but sometimes those classics happen to be FWD like the eldorados

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just updated the other thread linked to at the top. Please read, serious stuff...

Ben

1 - 18 of 18 Posts