Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a all stock 72 Eldorado convertible that keeps heat sinking. I've did timing adjustments, new power/ground wires and starter but that didnt help. I put a ground wire at the starter also with no change. I ran new a new coil wire also with no change. Anybody beat this problem and want to share what they did.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,679 Posts
When I see 'heat sink', I think of heat dissipating devices.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,059 Posts
is this a NO-CRANK -
or a CRANKS-BUT-NO-START problem?

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry yall, a heat soak problem. When the engine is warm, the starter will turn the motor very slowly before it eventually starts clicking. The battery still has 12V. Even with a plug in battery charger/jumper turned to an extra 250 CC amps, it still turns over slowly till it eventually clicks. Let it sit for a couple hours, starts back up.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
First check your timing. If that doesn't help, it may be the starter solenoid or maybe the starter itself.

·
19,059 Posts
Sorry yall, a heat soak problem. When the engine is warm, the starter will turn the motor very slowly before it eventually starts clicking. The battery still has 12V. Even with a plug in battery charger/jumper turned to an extra 250 CC amps, it still turns over slowly till it eventually clicks. Let it sit for a couple hours, starts back up.
========================
do a STARTER DRAW TEST when the problem exists -
this will measure the AMPERAGE being pulled by the starter to spin the engine -
under "normal" circumstances - this should be somewhere around 125 amps -

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My battery/charging system tester measures voltage and the starter used over 10 volts when starting. The 800cc battery had 585cca at 58 degrees during the test(tested while heat soaked, car did not start). It is a new starter also. I set timing dead on 8 degrees, gaped the points, the motor seems to love it...it runs good but has a small misfire at cyl 4. Now that I think about it, cylinder 4 has spark and fuel and seems to be actually burning the fuel. New cap, rotor, wires, plugs, capacitor, vacuum advance.. Tonight I'm going to chase that misfire, going to pull the valve cover and make sure the valve is opening. Got me wondering if a cam lobe is flat.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
A flattened cam lobe should have nothing to do with the hot start problem you describe.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldnt think so but an intake valve that doesnt open will make it harder to turn over, right? If not, I'll start chasing timing again. I'll start by verifying TDC on the timing pointer since there was a couple markers used.

·
19,059 Posts
My battery/charging system tester measures voltage and the starter used over 10 volts when starting. The 800cc battery had 585cca at 58 degrees during the test(tested while heat soaked, car did not start). It is a new starter also. I set timing dead on 8 degrees, gaped the points, the motor seems to love it...it runs good but has a small misfire at cyl 4. Now that I think about it, cylinder 4 has spark and fuel and seems to be actually burning the fuel. New cap, rotor, wires, plugs, capacitor, vacuum advance.. Tonight I'm going to chase that misfire, going to pull the valve cover and make sure the valve is opening. Got me wondering if a cam lobe is flat.
===========================
My battery/charging system tester measures voltage and the starter used over 10 volts when starting.
this makes no sense - volts and amps are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things -
ALL electrical car parts use 12 volts to run -
the IMPORTANT thing in this conversation is the number of AMPS the starter is drawing to crank the motor -

The 800cc battery had 585cca at 58 degrees during the test(tested while heat soaked, car did not start).
I have no Idea HOW you got this number - BUT - if accurate -
the starter is drawing 215 AMPS of power - WAY too much -
either the engine IS that hard to spin - or the starter is defective -

It is a new starter also
BRAND NEW? or rebuilt? -
makes no difference - especially if it is a "house-brand" reman -

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The battery is rated for 800 cca and was at only 585cca's at the time of the test, that is all. low battery but not low enough to cause my issues.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,679 Posts
Here's a suggestion.
Disable the ignition somehow (so there;s no spark), and attempt to crank the engine. Does it crank?
If so, perhaps the timing chain is worn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts