Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Eldorado Convertible
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to turn my 71 over to my mechanic for complete overhaul of 8.2 Liter engine and transmission. Ready to pay whatever it costs as this is the last major investment I'll have to make.

I'd like it to have max horsepower (originally it was 370 hp), but still sound like a Cadillac. I'm considering headers into a stock muffler with resonator but don't know if that will make it to loud.

My other big concern is what to do about cam and heads. Is there something better than stock? Also I've heard something about "roller technology" but don't know if that's something that can be added to a 71 Eldorado.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do and what I shouldn't do? It's a daily driver but only put about 10 to 15 miles a day on it. So I wouldn't mind better gas mileage but not at the expense of performance.

·
Registered
'10 CTS V, '79 SDV
39 Posts
Hi Billibob,

I suggest that you and your mechanic phone this shop http://www.500cid.com/#!camshafts/ch5q
and speak with Marty to discuss what you want to do and consider the options.

For starters, you should consider HEI ignition, a mild camshaft, a better intake maniflold or at least a 1" spacer under the carb for improved flow into the heads, if there's room enough under the hood. Additionally, you might want to have the existing heads ported and polished for improved performance or get different heads and/or connecting rods to raise the compression ratio to 10:1 or 10.5:1. Also, consider doing a dual exhaust system for better performance.

I recommend using a Cloyes timing set and a FlowKooler water pump when rebuilding.

Ask Marty for input on carburetion v. fuel injection

I have no affiliation with the shop above but they are Caddy experts and will shoot you straight.

Best of luck,

T J

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
I just went through my '70 472 and made it into a 507 (500 crank and bored .030 over). MTS in California rebuilt it for me. Used a #10 cam, mildly ported heads, non-adjustable shaft rockers, upgraded connecting rods, forged pistons, 10 to 1 compression, ported factory intake (no spacer) 800 cfm q-jet, MTS electronic ignition and exhaust manifolds. Runs pretty well, but the car weighs 5000 pounds, and gets less than 10 mpg. Its a driver, but not a daily driver. I have yet to get dual exhaust on it, it's still a work in progress. I did get the flow kooler pump as the prior poster suggested.

If I had to do it again, I would lower the compression (I have to use 93 octane) and use the adjustable rocker arms. You have to use a factory intake if you want to use the factory a/c compressor.

Talk to Marty, let him know what you want and he'll hook you up.

chris.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
For performance parts for the 500cid go to cad500parts.com :highfive:

·
Registered
1971 Eldorado Convertible
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the suggestions. My mechanic and I have talked about a few of these issues but not all. I'm going to hook him up with this thread so he can follow through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts