Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Eldorado Convertible
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to pull engine/trans for overhaul and thought while engine is out I'd replace A/C evaporator core while it's accessible. Not really having a problem with it currently but it's the original core and it looks like it would be hard to get to without pulling the engine, so I'm thinking I may avoid a future problem and expense. Anyone have an opinion on if this is a good idea, if it is where I can get a replacement, and/or what I should look for to ensure the one I have is okay?

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
Last year, I pulled the motor from my '70 deville. A/C wasn't working. I replaced everything except the hoses and the condenser. Flushed the condenser & hoses. Had Classic Auto air rebuild my POA valve (about $200), bought a new expansion valve (everco, I believe), Went to Old Air products and bought a rebuilt compressor and a replacement evaporator core. A year later, it's all working pretty well.

When I pulled the evap core, it was plugged up with debris on the fins (no air filter like cars today). I also went thru all the exterior ductwork and housings to clean them up and replace weatherstripping where I could.]

Is your a/c system working? I also recall I couldn't disconnect the poa from the evap core - it was stuck. Ended up having to cut the evap core to release the POA so I could get sent off for repair.

I'd replace with new (the best you can afford) if it were me, that's what I did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the summary. The A/C is currently working fine; I'm just considering this step while the engine is out to avoid problems in the future. From the little I can see of the core, looking through a small opening (i think it's through the hole created by removing the ambient temp sensor) the core looks very clogged, similar to your photo. I don't know what the POA is but I'm pretty much willing to spend whatever it takes to do it right.

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
Wow, if it's working ok, I'd think twice about opening the system. Will you have to open the system in order to remove the engine? If so, then I'd prolly do the evaporator. If not, why fix something if it isn't broken? What you have to worry about these days with replacement parts is the quality. Is a replacement evap as good as an original? If you do pull it apart, at minimum, I'd clean it up. Would you be recharging the system or someone else? If someone else, I'd pick their brain and get their input about what to do. My understanding of what hurts an a/c system is moisture. It create internal corrosion and that's problematic for the components. I would recommend staying with R-12 as this generation of components work best with that refrigerant.

My system wasn't working, so I started from scratch.

Do you have a factory service manual? What does it say about removing the evaporator. My guess is that removal and replacement of the evap core is doable with the engine in place.

With all that said, I'm no expert, only a guy with a little knowledge.

I hate to say it, but there are a 100+ views here with only one reply. I'd definitely get more input on your question. Try this place, they are very knowledgeable about Cadillac restoration: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php#c1 I frequent there as well..........

chris.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have to pull the evaporator core to pull the engine, but the core is a lot easier to access with the engine out so I was going to replace it while convenient since it's 44 years old. I think i'll have my mechanic try to check it out first and maybe just clean it, and rather than replace it I will have it re-conditioned. Thanks for the thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts