2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the auto can take the mods to get to 700RWHP, 600+RWTQ? :bouncy:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to. At that power level on the auto you should ATLEAST get a good transmission cooler like a Setrab.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Off topic, but Slvr, I am ROFL at your signature. Too funny!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Off topic, but Slvr, I am ROFL at your signature. Too funny!
:thumbsup:
I had the quote stuck in my head after watching the CTS-V vs. M5 video where they are talking smack..."smells like victory...."
So I looked up the full quote and had a ephiphany........ Oh yes...the quote needs a "MOD".... hence my signature was born.:bouncy:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was looking at Hennessey and Lingenfelter mods and they never specifically said "manual" transmission only so I'm curious.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
^ yep. Think about it. Is it better to do the mods on a manual V and post higher gains or do it on an auto V and post lower gains ?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really looking for "manual is a given" or "Think about it. Is it better to do the mods on a manual V and post higher gains or do it on an auto V and post lower gains ?" -----huh????

I was wondering if the auto trans could take mods or not. Would be disappointed if they put a weak @$$ auto tranny that can get a 3.9 sec 0-60 but can't take mods.....

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Well the limit of the auto is probaly around the limit of the clutch so after a certain point both will need upgrades

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
332 Posts
At 700rwhp, a lot of things will need to be upgraded. Cooling, axles, tires, fueling, etc. Tranny would probably be one of those things. 700rwhp in a stock auto tranny is a lot, so I wouldn't be upset with GM if the limit was in the 650ish rwhp range. My friend's B5 Audi S4's auto tranny was having issues with just 350whp! The automatic trannies on Mercedes and Porsches are maxed out at about 700 crank lbs of torque I believe. The 65 AMG series cars were detuned because the transmission couldn't handle the torque that they are truly capable of. When people started tuning them, some folks had their cars get shut down in "limp mode."

Is the 6 speed Auto in our V's the same as the ones found in the Vettes? If so, I'm sure there are some twin turbo C6 Autos that have gotten over 700rwhp. That would probably answer your question.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the better questions is, can a auto tranny take a CAI, Pully mods, headers, exhaust, tune

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan
4 Posts
Is the 6 speed Auto in our V's the same as the ones found in the Vettes? If so, I'm sure there are some twin turbo C6 Autos that have gotten over 700rwhp. That would probably answer your question.
No, it is the 6L90 which is actually a step above the C6 auto tranny (6L80) in torque capacity (6L90 is rated for 111 lb/ft more engine torque over the 6L80). Now, I'm not sure how much modding it could withstand stock, but it looks as though it is as well prepared as any auto tranny GM could offer.

Chip

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't seem to find any "specs" to see what it can take other that the "beefing up" they did to it.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
I would be very surprised if the tranny holds up to 700 RWHP and it's comparable RWTQ figure, which I think would be somewhat higher than 600, for anything longer than a dozen or so passes. For Cadillac to even offer a auto behind a 556 HP car is amazing in itself. I don't think that an auto is available in the ZO6, the ZR1, and probably not in any American car other than a few of the big # trucks. We're very fortunate to have this car in an auto.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
332 Posts
No, it is the 6L90 which is actually a step above the C6 auto tranny (6L80) in torque capacity (6L90 is rated for 111 lb/ft more engine torque over the 6L80). Now, I'm not sure how much modding it could withstand stock, but it looks as though it is as well prepared as any auto tranny GM could offer.

Chip
Thanks for sharing this very nice piece of info. Sounds like we're good to go!

·
Registered
11 V Black Diamond Sedan, 16 Escalade Premium (wife's)
221 Posts
I'm going to guess no way in hell as is.

and given the trannies are newer designs without a heavily researched aftermarket for upgrades at the moment, your options on upgrades are severely limited.

does anyone here even have an inkling of how often stuff breaks when you get to 700rwhp setups??

my old vette was 710/640 at the wheels and ate more transmissions clutches and differentials than you can imagine, my current one is over 800/710, and I've smoked every piece of driveline within 1500 miles. Its only going to be worse in a heavier platform of a cts-V (yes sticks but there's still some parallels between them)

I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't want to be the first one trying it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have no idea. I do know--I had my V tuned by a local guy with a great rep for tuning the vettes. I LOVE the tune..shifts like a race car now. In normal "drive" now it shifts like it used to in sport.

In sport--if you nail it from a low roll (10-60) its wicked shot to the tranny--you can hear it and feel it.

The car is definitely faster--lower temp fans on, higher rpm shifts..etc. But there is no doubt the tranny will take a LOT more stress. I doubt I would want to push it much further. thats just me...:thehand:

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan
4 Posts
Can't seem to find any "specs" to see what it can take other that the "beefing up" they did to it.
You can go to GM's Powertrain website to view the tranny specs. I would post a link, but I do not have enough posts to do so.

The only other use for the 6L90 is in GM's Heavy Duty truck line.

Chip

·
Registered
09 cts-v
254 Posts
Be warry of the axle joints....Just had mine in the dealer this morning and they had to order me an entire new rear axle, the axle joint is going. Guess I'll be driving a bit slower for the next few days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts