Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1928 Cadillac Coupe, 1970 Cadillac Coupe, 2013 Cadillac SRX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jump started and drove it home. Would not turn over after that. Even after new battery .

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,605 Posts
Try this , turn your headlights on. Try to start car, do the headlights go out? If they go out it is a bad connection somewhere. Most likely the cables. If lights don't go out when tried to start, most likely the starter. If it is the starter a rap on the starter with a hammer will get it to start , maybe...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think it could be the fusible link?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
So if the lights stay bright and it points to the starter try this. Go to the starter and jump the to terminals together . The large one to the small one. There could be two small ones so try the big one to each of the small ones. Now if the starter and wire connections are good it will crank over. Pointing to other wires as the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if it doesn't start after a rap or two on the starter or if won't turn over after shorting the large post with the small one, will that mean that the starter is bad?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You did not tell me if the headlights went out when you tried to start it .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lights did not dim

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Well that means its not engaging the starter. So it is the starter or wires going to the starter. So if you jump the large terminal to the smaller terminal on the starter, does it turn over? Does it spark and not turn over?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that means its not engaging the starter. So it is the starter or wires going to the starter. So if you jump the large terminal to the smaller terminal on the starter, does it turn over? Does it spark and not turn over?
I believed it sparked but did not turn over.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My guess from what you say is that the starter quit on you. It sounds like it could be worn out brushes. You could take the starter out and test it or have it tested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got it going with a tap of a hammer. The battery had gone dead as I was trying to crank it. Hopefully, it won't be an ongoing problem. If so, I will replace the starter.

Thank you for all of your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts