Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fleet 
#1 ·
i am looking for a 69 deville coupe but i have seen more 70's than 69's
Is there a mechanical diff between the 69 and 70? any cosmetic diffs?
what is the average price for a 69 in decent shape?

#2 ·
Theres only slight differences cosmetically, the taillights and the trim covering the cornering lights comes to mind. Engine wise, both had the same displacement, but the '70 had a slightly improved oiling system.

#4 ·
Actually, the grille on the '69 is more complex (and expensive) than the grille on the '70. The '69 had those smaller blades in between the bigger blades, making the '70 a little more "plain-looking." It's only a slight difference though.

The '69 and '70 are both similar and they are both reliable (and powerful) years for Cadillacs.

The '69 has a 10.5:1 compression ratio and the '70 a 10.0:1.
The '69 was the last year for real wood trim (in the Fleetwood series and leather-equipped de Villes).

The '70 has a stronger (redesigned) rear axle.

#6 ·
I'm not sure if the grilles will interchange but it would look kind of strange for a '70 to have a '69 grille- you would confuse a lot of people who see it!
I have a '69 (Fleetwood) and '70 (Sedan de Ville) so I'll check tomorrow if the grilles bolt in the same place and check the sizes of the grilles.

Like I said, the '69 and '70 are very close as far as build quality, comfort, power, etc. One bonus of the '70 is that, according to those Consumer Reports frequency-of-repair charts, the '70 has the best repair record of any Cadillac (with the '69s very close behind).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.