Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have recently purchased a 69 deville here in Melbourne australia.

It has been converted to RHD
And has a body by fisher tag

Codes on tag ST 69 68349

I am chasing up some possible answers to a paint related question

I am a panel beater / painter and i have purchased this car to restore

The previous owner had painted it in flat black. He told me ot was originally white.

My plan was to paint it in gloss black.

I have stripped the car and started to bare metal the shell and i have came accross pink!

I referenced the code 47 in our paint system at work and it came up as wisteria metallic

I am curious as to how i may be able to find out how many 69 devilles where produced in wisteria pink?

Id like to restore it to its factory colour if it is a rare colour. If its a common colour i will just do it my original plan of black.

I am on holidays at the moment so i was planning on getting a heap of repairs done and possibly start shooting some colour on the body within the next couple of weeks so id just like to know what direction im heading in with paint pretty soon!

Any help would be much appreciated

Also what does FWD 35543 mean on the tag? And hoe can i find out where it was built also?

Thanks again

Josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also i might add that the trim code
Is 347 "mauve"

And it has black trim

So if i did paint it in original colour to the tag

The trim wouldnt be correct to the tag

Any thoughts / advice appreciated

Josh

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
Here are some links to information for 1969 Cadillacs..........

http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/cad1960/cad69.htm

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1960/cad69.htm

http://automotivemileposts.com/cadillac/cadi1969selections.shtml

http://automotivemileposts.com/cadillac/paint1969cadi.html

some good fun reading!!

chris.

----------

On the trim tag, 69 is the year, 68349 is the body style. Not sure anyone knows how many of a particular color were produced..... I think the FWD means it was built at the Fleetwood plant. Others more knowledge please chime in!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
You can never go wrong if following the tag.
Especially with funky colors like the originals in the 60's-70's.
They just scream original.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest......well....
492 Posts
I don't recall where I heard or stumbled across, but someone thought somewhere (FWD) meant four wheel drive.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
FWD stands for Fleetwood body number. The combo of Wisteria with dark mauve interior is very attractive. In fact, the 1969 full line sales brochure has the Coupe de Ville in that color combo, with a white halo vinyl top. Not a popular color by the late 1960s. If I was restoring the car, I'd definitely go original. There are enough black Cadillacs in the world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys thanks very much for the input. I appreciate the links. There is some useful stuff in there cheers! Unfortunately it doesnt have the mauve interior anymore for some reason, it has black and green? Not sure what has happened there..so i wonder if it still worth painting the car original colour if the trim isnt original. And What does the fleetwood tag have to do with the devilles? Thanks again

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Your color choice is all about personal preference.

I am not sure how much difference the original color would make to the value of the car on a 69 Cadillac.
Especially in Oz, with what it costs for you to get them there in the first place and how few there are, you probably command a good dollar no matter the color, if done well.

That said, I would say that picking a true 69 Cadillac color would probably be best.
One of the coolest things about collector cars are how certain colors just put you back into the era they were built.
The pastels of the 60's, Biscay Aqua Firemist (Turquoise), Wisteria Metallic (Mauve), Palmetto Green metallic.
These are colors that just scream period car.

There have always been and will always be black, white and silver cars, and always buyer who want them, but I would suggest picking a great old color for your great old Cadillac!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts