Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1968 cadillac coupe deville 472 blue exterior black interior. All original. 40k miles
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read forums on this site often with no luck with info im looking for.

Is it possible to remove the air pump and just shorten the belt thats inline with the air pump? Im removing because theres an awful squeal with the belt on the air pump. Also can i just leave the air pump right where its at and just run belt skipping past the air pump? If anybody doesnt understand what im saying i drew a little diagram on top of a picture. Again this is my first post so if im posting in the wrong area im sorry and if somebody could tell me where i should post this then ill remove it and put it where its supposed to go. Thanks for reading,

John

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,532 Posts
You could make a idler and do that to take the place of the air pump. But if you can find a crank pulley off a 1970 motor, almost impossible. Or change all the pulleys from a 77-79 425 motor . Non cal car.

·
Registered
1968 cadillac coupe deville 472 blue exterior black interior. All original. 40k miles
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I ended up taking the comonents out of a 89 chevy blazer smog pump and using that in my smog pump casing. The only thing thats different is the piece that looks like a fan that the pulley bolts to. Thats from the chevy so i used the 3 metric bolts to bolt down my pulley. Also had to ream out pulley holes about 1/16" but it sure did fit and works fine. You can put the whole chevy pump in there. Just cant use the caddy diverter. Dont fit since chevy pump port shoots out the back instead of top. The blazer diverter was in line diverter and right outside the casing of pump it made a hard 180 degree turn coming back on top the pump. It would fit that way. No presses or pullers were need. All relatively easy work. The smog pump from chevy was seized when i fitst removed it. Just filled her up with trans fluid and slowly worked it until she spun freely. Hope this helps somebody.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts