Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All- I have a 68 deville convertible that I've been working on for the last couple years- I'm finally getting around to the suspension.
First up is the lower control arms. The Chiltons just basically says all you have to do is support the frame,
remove shock absorber
disconnect stabiizer bar
remove the pressure from the control arm pivot bolts by the frame,
chain the spring to the lower arm (?????)
then remove the bolts and the arm

Seems like that's too easy- doesn't even mention taking the wheel off... anyone done this? Can I do this in my driveway? I've done tie rod ends before, but not much suspension stuff. (I've searched the forums but haven't found much discussion of this...)
Any advice welcome.
thanks all.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest......well....
492 Posts
Before you attempt see if you can get a press or have a shop press out and in the bushings. Get a spring compressor since its your first time, don't have to but let's be safe. Now is the time to do all the suspension upper and lower since it's being disassemble, except upper control arm and ball joint, they stay connected, if your not doing them.

Get a ball joint press,they usually fight, I got mine from harbor freight, about $12 I forget, should add sometimes the press is not needed. I hope the pics help there is a lot to type. Chaining the spring is very good keeps it from flying. If you are comfortable around cars no reason why it can't be done in your driveway. Save you a good amount of money to.

·
Registered
1968 Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CG- I'm planning on buying rebuilt lower control arms from USAPartsupply in WV, so may see if they have the uppers too and do this all at once. (Also should save me from having to press out the bushings.) Anyway thanks for the diagram and the steps- that should help. Thanks very much- wish me luck, I should be doing this next weekend.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest......well....
492 Posts
With replacements you will be saving some time. Go slow when you lower the jack under the control arm to remove the spring. With patience and care you should be fine. We are here to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts