Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have been posting now for the last month or so I am getting the 68 up and running one step at a time.

I have just changed the voltage regulator and the alternator, as the battery was only getting 12 1/2 volts whether the car was running or not. Changing the regulator got the generator light to shut off which was great, but no other charging increase occurred.

Changing the alternator just today, which was a bit of a bitch mind you, has only increased the charging of the battery to 13.5 V while running. For this vehicle is it supposed to be any higher than that? I am used to the battery getting around 15 or so volts when running. Can anyone tell me if this vehicle should be getting more while running? And if so what other areas should I check for this problem?

Also, the next fix is to replace the upper and lower hoses and thermostat. It seems pretty straightforward of a change, but if there are any tricks or tips anybody has for this change please let me know! Thanks so much!!!

-D.C.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,544 Posts
Make sure the belt to the air pump is not slipping. If I remember right the air pump belt turns the waterpump and then the waterpump drives the alternator. So if the air pump belt slips your alternator don't turn.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I didn’t touch that belt at all but I’ll check it. Thank you for the suggestion. I have to change all those belts anyway so might be a good time to do that now LOL. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts