Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting going on replacing the vinyl roof on my '67 75, and I'm not seeing how to remove the "rails" that trim up the roof. They look like they're held on with clips that are retained by nuts *inside* the car. Am I going to have to remove the interior & headliner to get at these, or am I missing something? I'm talking about the "bar" at the bottom of the vinyl roof, along the belt line - you can see it in the attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
CTS-V
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea - that trim is a channel that wraps around what looks like a plastic rectangle, which is bolted into the body. I can't tell if the trim pops off the plastic or not, and I certainly don't want to destroy it trying. :confused:

There was more of it, but it came removed from the car, along with all the other roof trim - the landau bars, etc. I have this horrible feeling all that hardware is rattling around inside the car, and it's going to be serious work to reattach it. Right now, though, I just need to get what remains off the car so I can prep the roof. All that exposed metal is making me nervous, even in summer in Sacramento (DRY).

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
The trim is held on by plastic retaining clips, which attach to studs welded into the body. You can remove the trim with a flathead screwdriver (wrap a thin towel around it to avoid damaging the paint). Accept that you will destroy a few of the clips in the process.

·
Registered
CTS-V
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are awesome - thank you.

Are the clips replaceable?

How do things like landau bars attach to the c-pillars? Am I really going to have to remove the headliner or am I missing something?

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
That perfectly round hole visible in the picture is, I think, the attachment hole for the lower end of the landau bar. I think (but I'm not sure) that there's also a small retangular plaque that says "FLEETWOOD" that's mounted just aft of the leading edge of the vinyl roof halo molding behind the rear door and just above the horizontal portion of the same molding. You should be able to see the mounting holes for all of them when the old roof padding is stripped away and you have a bare metal top. Once all the rust is repaired, you can do one of two things to remound the landau bars and "FLEETWOOD" plaques (if you have them):

1) remove the interior sail panel trim and reattach with correct splined mounting brackets (and good luck finding them!) or,

2) use a heavy-duty epoxy that will both hold the items to the car and make the holes water tight (what most people do).

The member who goes by the screen name Fleet added landau bars to his '76 Series 75. He'd be best able to tell you how he did it.

As for the clips that hold the halo roof trim, they are readily available (check ebay or Hemmings). They're small rectangles that slide onto the studs welding onto the body, then lock in place to hold the trim with their raised edges.

Good luck!

·
Registered
CTS-V
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, thanks!

I do have all the trim, including the Fleetwood badges and I do see the holes that they occupy. I didn't realize the sail panels were distinct from the headliner (I didn't look, either), so perhaps I will remove one of them to see what's going on back there.

I'm going to get the rust holes fixed up - I was originally thinking encapsulator+fiberglass, but now might use body solder since they're small - and run it by the place that's going to do the top to see what they say about reattaching that stuff. I'm betting they've run into this before and have some suggestions about reattachment.

Probably going to sell my CTS-V pretty soon, so hopefully the Fleetwood project can really get rolling. :)

·
Registered
1967 Fleetwood Brougham
5 Posts
Hi, I also have a '67 Fleetwood Brougham. The Vinyl roof is shot and a lot of rust under it. I'm going to attempt it myself. Any help with how you did yours including trim removal would be appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts