Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleet Bro, 64 Deville. Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of material all the bright work inside and outside my 64 Cadillac is.

It looks as if the dash brightwork is stainless steel, because when I used a magnet on the trim, the magnet didn't grasp to the metal The A and B pillar trim looks to be anodized aluminum but I am not sure.

The window frame, and exterior chrome moldings looks like chrome, but could also be stainless because I don't see any rust on the trim.

Can someone help identify these bits and pieces, my main focus are on the early to mid 60's Cadillac's when they used the most brightwork.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
The trim is either chrome plated pot metal or polished stainless steel. Can't think of anything on those cars that would be anodized aluminum.

·
Registered
94 Fleet Bro, 64 Deville. Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After further inspection I now believe majority of the trim is stainless steel just because of the lack of any rust pitting on the trim besides for the bumpers. The front and rear grill inserts are anodized aluminum as the inserts are starting to get that haze look.

Or it's possible that the chrome is chrome plated aluminum?

So much chrome in these year Caddys, not to mention their high build quality and awesome styling.

GM seriously knew how to chrome it's cars to the finest back then!

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
I used to own a '61 Impala. All the grill parts on it were anodized aluminum.
Most of your trim will be stainless. Only larger, heavier parts are likely to be chrome plated (bumpers, mirrors, possibly taillight housings)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts