Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2004 6.0ltr all wheel drive Escalade with about 150,000 miles on it. Strange noise coming from the right (drivers side) bank, however, the engine was running smooth. It was diagnosed by a shop as a spun lifter. Having not worked on newer engines my response was SO!? They're supposed to. That's when I learned it had roller lifters like the 502 in my truck. They pulled the heard and found one of the lifter's roller with heavy pitting. The surface was smooth, shiny but pitted. I haven't tried to look down to take a peak at the mating cam lobe but suspect it to be damaged. The shop obviously recommended replacing the cam and lifters. Just to replace only the cam and all sixteen lifters was priced at $4,677. If they did the work I'd have a 17 year old engine with 150,000 miles on it with a new cam and lifters. I went to a second respected shop that priced out the same work at $6,017. Both shops quote around $8,000 or more for a long block replacement.

I started searching the internet for a long block. In my wrench spinning days there were new or rebuilt to select from. Now they've added "remanufactured". It looks like I can get a remanufactured replacement engine for around $3,000 - $4,000. I've done engine swaps and rebuilds in the past but not on a computer vehicle. I'm willing to give it a go on our Escalade particularly if I can save $4,000.

Questions:
1. Has anyone else had this lifter/cam issue?
2. Any pitfalls in doing the swap myself even though I have a fair amount of experience?
3. Are there computer recognition and smog issues to consider?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,910 Posts
1. I’ve heard the lifters on my truck but only in cold weather when I had it otherwise I never had a problem with that part.
2.be ready in case you break something(trust me those sending units and sensors aren’t cheap)
3. There may be a relearn on something with one of the sensors(I will have to check my service manual to see for sure)
Otherwise it’s no different then any other vehicle(speaking from experience of being in the process of doing a swap/upgrade on a 91 Miata)
The main thing is having the tools you need to do the swap(hoast/load leveler, engine stand)
If the place you get the your engine from doesn’t take cores it would help you to know what goes where(otherwise give me a holler and I’ll help you out)

·
Registered
Cadillac
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. I’ve heard the lifters on my truck but only in cold weather when I had it otherwise I never had a problem with that part.
2.be ready in case you break something(trust me those sending units and sensors aren’t cheap)
3. There may be a relearn on something with one of the sensors(I will have to check my service manual to see for sure)
Otherwise it’s no different then any other vehicle(speaking from experience of being in the process of doing a swap/upgrade on a 91 Miata)
The main thing is having the tools you need to do the swap(hoast/load leveler, engine stand)
If the place you get the your engine from doesn’t take cores it would help you to know what goes where(otherwise give me a holler and I’ll help you out)
Thanks! I still have my cherry picker from the 502 swap in my truck. I think my friend, a real motorhead, has an engine stand. If not harbor freight is only about 5 miles away. LOL. I'll be reviewing the procedure in my manual you gave me as well as my Chilton's.

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 310,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,182 Posts
Have you looked at www.car-part.com? Might be worth seeing if they have a low mileage near you.

As far as pulling out the engine. A few years back I pulled mine out to replace the rear main seals. I took my time and the motor popped out within a couple hours. I unbolted just about everything on a Friday night, replaced seals, and a few broken manifold bolts Saturday dropped engine back in. Sunday bolted everything back together. Drove it that night. Went very smooth! Good luck!

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 310,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,182 Posts
Ethan GREAT to see you posting again! Hey don't be a stranger!

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
561 Posts
Would be answered better to know if this is a apples to apples engine swap
In meaning what year 6L engine are you getting ?

As that then brings questions as if the newer engine has 4/8 cylinder mode, variable timing, etc
If so then will you need larger fuel injectors, different style of MAF, wiring loom for those features and
then of course a PCM that supports those features and having to tune the calibration and
if changing PCM is it for the same tranny you use now ?

Or since your going through all this would you consider making some changes such as CAM grind, compression
having to consider then having the PCM tuned for that

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,910 Posts
Team sr-1 our pcm isn’t setup for the active fuel management system that the 07 and later year Escalades got(they got the 6.2 which eats cams like crazy from what I’ve heard from a very reliable source) they also use different fuel setups(if I’m not mistaken)
The lq9 is what the 02-06 Escalades use and it’s also noted in the vin so any pull a parts place will know what engine it’s for and from.
I plan on putting one of these engines in a classic car I’ve got and definitely am avoiding the afm so I’ll be using a 6.0 with a 6 speed when I do it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who responded!
it will be an apple to apple swap. Ours is an “N” VIN code which I believe is the lq9 and it will be a remanufactured engine. With the luck I have I don’t dare put a used engine in! Seriously. I’m a 1%er. If it only happens to 1% of the public I’m at the head of the line.

·
Registered
'05 Escallade ESV Plat., '16 Z51 Corvette, '03 Avalanche, 12 Lexus IS350C
187 Posts
Piece of cake as a long as you do in fact get the same engine.
You may need to swap some sensors.
Another concern is making sure the engine hoist is tall enough.

You are going to want to replace some other things like motor mounts and stuff like that.
I would also change the transmission front seal.

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
561 Posts
Team sr-1 our pcm isn’t setup for the active fuel management system that the 07 and later year Escalades got(they got the 6.2 which eats cams like crazy from what I’ve heard from a very reliable source) they also use different fuel setups(if I’m not mistaken)
The lq9 is what the 02-06 Escalades use and it’s also noted in the vin so any pull a parts place will know what engine it’s for and from.
I plan on putting one of these engines in a classic car I’ve got and definitely am avoiding the afm so I’ll be using a 6.0 with a 6 speed when I do it.
Also could look at a L96 which is also 6 liter and no AFM/DOD

·
Registered
Cadillac
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i’m looking for a good reliable source for a remanufactured, not rebuilt, LQ9. Not interested in a low priced Chinese remanufactured engine. Looking for something done in the USA by a well known respected company. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Cadillac
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve started pulling the engine for the swap. The power steering pump (PSP) is a royal PITA! They’ve designed it so it’s difficult to get to any of the bolts or hoses. But it’s finally off
I’m trying to remove the pulley from the PSP. The manual says to use a “puller” but it looks like it may be threaded on as the shaft has a six sided hole in it like it should be removed with an Allen wrench.
Has anyone run into this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts