Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.0L, 03 awd ext
While having trans rebuilt i thought id have the rear main done while trans was down, 166k.
It was leaking slowly/lightly but after it was replaced its leakng more, now dripping on driveway.
Tech said the rear main is perfect now but theres another possible suspect leak area to the left of the rms.
What would that be ??or is he just making excuses and rms is still leaking?
Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The leak could be from the oil cooler which sits left of the rear main over the oil filter(silver square box with two metal lines). The oil cooler o-rings tend to leak on the engine block.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If your oil cooler is original to the car, the hoses could be garbage too. They tend to leak at the crimped connection where the metal line attaches to the rubber hose. The work required to replace the oil cooler lines wasn't worth it, so I ordered an oil cooler block off plate. After a year, no issues, but I don't tow or haul heavy loads on any kind of regular basis. But not really sure why an oil cooler would even be needed.

It also wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion regarding the rear main seal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do pull a 6k boat regularly, not long distances tho.
It must be the oil cooler the trans tech was talking about.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the orings and lnes could be a cause there too, are they run up to radiator/condenser ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
The lines run to the driver's side of the radiator. If the hoses are old leaking, you'll need to replace the entire cooler line assembly. Watching a few YouTube videos shows the process is a true PITA with a 4WD vehicle. If the vehicle were 2WD, it would be much easier. A shop is going to charge a ton in labor to replace an $80 part.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only saving grace is that the trans tech feels responsible for the leak, he might do it for free.....HOPEfully....
And it wasnt leaked ng like this prior to th herebuildi

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn why no edit feature
after voice to text !!??
Wasnt leaking this bad prior to the rebuild .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the process of degreasing ,dry and idle until i see where the drops originate.
If its the orings behind cooler lines does anyone know the part numbers ...or a user friendly parts que ?
I look up parts quite regularly for dirt bikes and outboards...never my vehicle, and google isnt really spot on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to edit original post but now i dont even see a button to edit, i might be stuck in mobil mode....on android.
So its definitely the rear main, the oil cooler line gasket is dry....we'll see what happens

1 - 14 of 14 Posts