Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
08 CTS 4 3.6L AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Im normally over on the CTS threads and other antique sites with Harley restorations and GM sports car restorations.
So Im a rather naive old Caddy buyer fixer. I have been thinking of my next project and a 52 Caddy came into my walk abouts. Was wondering how difficult parts to get are and what the value is and how easily they are to find and buy. Also whats the big warning markers to look for? All cars have there issues only people who have lived and loved that type really know the inner workings. So I arrive here for some advise.
It is a 52 Caddy Coupe De Ville, 2 door all there less engine and tranny and interior. Someone stripped out the engine and put a big block in. Rusty and rough looking looks like its been sitting in a barns and fields for years. No rust through in body no dents all trim and glass there.
Thoughts?
Value as a project when done what are they worth?
Can I get a 52 caddy engine and tranny for it easily and price?
Interior....im assuming not too hard to find.
Where should I look for rust in frame issues or body areas?
Should I wait and buy a 52 that is original and runs out of South US and what do they sell for running in need of help?

Thanks, loads of snow here soI have time to pull the trigger on this I await the input from the experts!
Rags

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
50+ looks and no replies.

I'll chime in though I'm no expert on that old of a car. In general, you want to buy a complete car, running and driving if possible. Here's a link to eBay's "completed" for all '52 cadillacs to give you some comparable values.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sc=1&_flso=0&_fpos=75002&_sticky=1&_dcat=6001&_pcats=6001,6000&Model%20Year=1952&_qfkw=1&_from=R40&ghostText=&makeval=Cadillac&_sop=3&_nkw=Cadillac&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Since it's not complete, I'd stay away from it. If it was $500 to $750, it may be good as a parts car, but the engine, trans and interior are gone. I'd walk. Don't know if parts are readily available or not.

There are a bunch of caddy guys over at the Cadillac lasalle website, you might ask them.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php#c1

They'll tell you exactly the ins and outs of the journey you're thinking of taking...........

HTH,

chris.

·
Registered
1978 Eldorado Biarritz
59 Posts
Speaking from experience…..
I'd opt for a "complete" running or run-able car.
Something that is ALL there. It's the little stuff that drives you nuts, takes the most time,
and costs $$!
Restoring interiors can cost an arm and a leg these days. Dashboard and instrument panel
restoration can get nuts, too. These two items alone would probably cost more than
an engine/trans re-build. So, I'd buy the best '52 I could afford; with good bones to start with rather
than buying an incomplete hack job that would probably require buying a parts car to
finish the job. my 2 cents.

m

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
There is no way you restore the rusted hulk 1952 Cadillac you have described for a cost that would even approximate what a very decent one would sell for on today's "classic" market. I don't care if the owner gave you the car you would still be saddled with an uneconomical money pit!

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Just one word of advice, Rags: Run. Run as far and as fast as you can away from this. Even if you start with a complete but worn or tired car, it will still cost you a small fortune to restore correctly. If you really want one of these cars, don't just buy the best one you can afford; buy the best one you can find, regardless of price. It'll be way cheaper in the end. Take it from one who learned the hard way.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
The only thing that might be able to be done would be a resto-mod with a 350 and make do with the parts there.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Only if the body and frame rust is minimal. I'd take a pass no matter what.

·
Registered
08 CTS 4 3.6L AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Thanks guys, I deep down dont like to buy a project that is not all there as has been pointed out above many pitfalls. But was not sure how rare or hard getting that project restored sometimes engines are easy finds and I can rebuild easy. The bits and pieces are the devils. I get from the comments the car is not that rare they are out there running an complete. This 52 was $2000 Cdn. I will take a pass and look for a runner all there to restore. Im looking at my 1919 Gray Dort and only have 35% of the car and know how hard it will be o find the bits. I should have known better thanks for input I just gt a little fever for it. I will wait for the right car....they always come along. I guess if I could have got it for 500 bucks then maybe worth it to tinker and maybe use as donor car for another one in better shape. But for 2k id be better off adding 2 to 4K to that and getting a runner complete in need of love.

Rags

1 - 11 of 11 Posts