Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Am A Guy Who Is Adept Enough To Change Belts, Starters, Radiators Etc....i Am A Parts Changer...but Get Into Rebuild Specs, Bores And The Like And Its Like Spanish To Me.....with The Help Of The Haynes Manual, Can I Do A Timing Chain On A 74 500 Eldorado?....do I Need Special Tools?....any Special Advice For The Job If You Guys Think A Layman Can Do It?.......thx In Advance

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Sí, creo que usted puede hacerlo. No será muy fácil pero mientras usted tiene un sistema de instrucciones y puede seguirlas usted debe ser aceptable.

·
Registered
595 Posts
that's not funny Dave!

You will need a balancer puller to get the harmonic balancer off before removing the front cover. Then a tool to reinstall it when you're done.
Also, probably need a gear puller for the lower sprocket.

These tools are pretty easy to get, and not too expensive if you look around a bit. After that, it's just sockets and all to remove everything on the front. I think the oil pan is also supposed to come off to remove everything correctly, which means a new gasket there as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THX....I understood Dave's post...but was the sarcasm because I sounded dumb or something....I come here for help and get chastised....**** you dave....bitch ass...i predict a first round knock out....**** this website......ps...thx blue eyes

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
BluEyes said:
that's not funny Dave!

You will need a balancer puller to get the harmonic balancer off before removing the front cover. Then a tool to reinstall it when you're done.

These tools are pretty easy to get, and not too expensive if you look around a bit. After that, it's just sockets and all to remove everything on the front. I think the oil pan is also supposed to come off to remove everything correctly, which means a new gasket there as well.
What he said.
It's a pretty straight-forward job.

·
Registered
877 Posts
BluEyes said:
that's not funny Dave!

I dont know how big of a difference the pulley setup is on that 500 than it is on my 472, but the harmonic balancer just falls off when the crank pulley comes off. The real f***er is the crank hub... i had to get a very expensive puller and an impact to get it off, and getting it back on is fun too... i pushed through about 8 1/8" washers before it was on there good! The actual replacing of the timing set is very straight forwardyou will have to remove the distributor tho... which is also oodles of fun. CAUTION!!! When you put the seal for the lower part of the timing plate CUT THE TABS OFF THE END OF IT!!! I didnt do the job right and the car left small puddles everywhere i parked it!!! So just be careful about that lower seal... and while your at it maybe you could get a new water pump... they are real cheap and while its off i'd replace it... have fun! :rolleyes:

Also it is not required for the oil pan to come off... but then again i dont know for sure becuase that seal wasnt on there right... that could have been due to me not cutting the tabs or not dropping the pan... i dont think the pan has to be dropped, just read the directions for the seal.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I didnt really read who started this post and i didnt see him go off like that on someone. Thats pretty childish dude. Everyone is waiting hand and foot on you. If you want our knowledge on the matters then your gonna wait for it.

I will still leave my post up but it sounds like you dont know what the hell your doing and this project is gonna be a PITA for yah... i really hope it is. Your on your own to find out what the threading is on the crank to... which will be necessary to get that hub back on which i know you will never be able to get off. Also have fun putting your distributor back in. Looks like you wont know how to time it... that will eat up another week of your time or so... have fun really.... i love working on cars.

This may discourage you from this project.... but dont listen to me!!! If that chain breaks your looking at valve train rebuild!!! :) Every topic you start you always end up acting like a *****. So one favor deserves another... once again have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Am A Guy Who Is Adept Enough To Change Belts, Starters, Radiators Etc....i Am A Parts Changer...but Get Into Rebuild Specs, Bores And The Like And Its Like Spanish To Me.....with The Help Of The Haynes Manual, Can I Do A Timing Chain On A 74 500 Eldorado?....do I Need Special Tools?....any Special Advice For The Job If You Guys Think A Layman Can Do It?.......thx In Advance
Hello, This is the first time I have written to help anybody. I may screw this up.
I have replaced the timing chain on a '70 DeVille and a '70 Eldorado. The factory manuals said the oil pan should be taken off on the 472 DeVille and, alarmingly, the engine should be pulled on the 500 Eldorado. Neither have to be done. But in both cases I had a problem with the seal between the oil pan and timing cover working loose when trying to put the cover on. I solved this problem by doing the job in stages. I glued the seal in place, waited a day for the glue to dry, then put the cover on. The cover has to be squeezed on with some force. I used a pry bar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome to CF!

You’ve managed to dig up a 14 year old dead thread, but at least that provides some context..... (Usually its best just to start your own thread.) Not to worry, though.

The reason for the manuals’ instructions is that the front cover needs to go on first so that the installation of the oil pan can firmly compress the front and rear seals.

Doing it otherwise just invites problems and leaks, since there is ‘not enough room’ to slide the cover on with the oil pan in place. Forcing it tends to dislodge the seal and there is also the possibility of damaging the cover or something else.

Did your technique result in having no leak this time?

Bjc789

·
Registered
2 Posts
What you wrote is interesting, and makes sense. But my technique worked in both instances, and there was no leakage. The front cover was a bit of a problem to fit in place, I admit. It took considerable downward pressure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts