Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the car has just hit 500 miles, now the differential fluid is leaking all over the driveway? I havent really drive the car hard, what could have caused this?

Has this ever happen to anyone? Im afraid to take it to the dealership and get yelled at, i mean it could be a manufacture defect right?

and bumper to bumper warranty should cover this?

Im calling Cadillac first thing in the morning, i hope the down time isnt that long

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: 500 miles and now the differential fluid is leaking on the driveway! WTF? plz read

What year?

I have 150 miles on mine. Unfortunately I don't have a garage and the ground is wet so I won't know if one is there.

Also, how big does the puddle get overnight and what color is the fluid.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Re: 500 miles and now the differential fluid is leaking on the driveway! WTF? plz read

It's a known problem among a handful of CTS's. The dealer will replace the differential carrier. I'm on my third differential and this one seems to be handling itself much better than the previous two.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

well its a pretty big puddle, its a real light color, since it reflects the dark color from the concrete.

Wow are you serious 3? Ok i thought i was the only one lol

im curious, about how long does it take to fix in the shop? should i still drive the car? im afraid of burning up the whole assembly and getting stuck

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts

There are several threads on cracked differential casings. Sad to see it happen at 500 miles. One member had his sieze at 50MPH!!

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts

My first differential siezed without any kind of puddle, whine, or warning. The second one I drove for a good 3 months after seeing the leakage until the whine was unbearable and then I finally brought it in. Both each took less than a week for them to replaced.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

wow, they shouldve made this a recall then?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

RobertCTS said:
There are several threads on cracked differential casings. Sad to see it happen at 500 miles. One member had his seize at 50MPH!!
This is definitely NHTSA material for a recall.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Leaky and blown diffs seems to be much more common on the CTS than any other car. This is due mostly to an aluminum center carrier with the side covers being load bearing. Also, with a 3 point rubber mount to the cradle, flex is guaranteed. There are V guys working on several solutions, but it won't be cheap (~$4K for an iron center section). In your case, it will be covered under warranty. The V is especially prone due to the engine putting out 400 lb-ft to a diff rated for something like 310 lb-ft. I haven't had any trouble with mine in my 42000 miles, and I do 'beat my ponies' regularly. I've got a manual with the 3.73:1 gears. CMS may have some solutions soon for keeping the flex to a minimum at the pinion mount.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
odysseus said:
There are V guys working on several solutions, but it won't be cheap (~$4K for an iron center section). In your case, it will be covered under warranty.
Warranty or not GM needs to step-up to the plate on this one and do the right thing: design and fix it properly.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
SoCadillac said:
Warranty or not GM needs to step-up to the plate on this one and do the right thing: design and fix it properly.
They already have but it won't be implemented until the redesign of the CTS at the end of 2007.

·
Registered
114 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Hmmm..were did the info come from?:hmm:
There are a couple threads quoting articles saying that Caddie will be unvealing a redesigned CTS in 07. I'd imagine that they know about the problem and will correct it the next time around.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I am so fustrated, the reason i got this car is because i need a reliable car to go back and forth to school, since its pretty far from where i live. I dont know what to say, except im shocked

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts

2 Da Max said:
I am so fustrated, the reason i got this car is because i need a reliable car to go back and forth to school, since its pretty far from where i live. I dont know what to say, except im shocked
MAX,
IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. CADILLAC WILL FIX IT AND LEND YOU A LOANER CAR.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts

Like RobertCTS said, Cadillac will replace it with a brand new differential. My current rear end is handling itself very well. I've gone nearly 30K miles on it without showing any signs of failing. The CTS is, for the most part, a very reliable car. When I go on long road trips, the thought that my CTS will break down never crosses my mind.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Happened to me as detailed in a different thread; only took a pinion seal replacement to resolve. This is NOT the first RWD car I've owned that had this issue, so I knew exactly what it was when I saw a little fluid weeping out. I thought of it as getting a free rear diff fluid change - great for the diff!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts