Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Which engine should I go with?

• Should I put in a 500cid Cadillac engine?

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Should I put in a 350cid Chevy engine?

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I drop a 500 in my Fleetwood or go with a 350? Is the 500 swap difficult or easy as in bolt-on. Like I said before this car is going to be more of a highway cruiser so either way the 4.1 is gonna go.Its just a matter of time and money. I drive my truck to work so not like the down time would bother me. Anyone need a boat anchor?:devillaug

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
You already know what I'd do:D
But you need to do what fits your needs best.
The 350 will probably be easier to find but you should be able to get a 500 cheaper.
What tranny does your car have?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its the th400.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I THINK YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD DO!! 500cid!! I dont know about the fit, but the 500 is a huge engine. The 500s were for the 50s-70s huge cadillacs, and trying to put in that monster may be a trip. The 350 would probably fit better, but if at all possible, go the monster. Decisions these days are horrible :D

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
I'm not sure what bolt pattern your tranny would have but if it's a BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) pattern, the 500 will bolt right to it. A Chevy bolt pattern would need an adapter.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The popular vote wins. :banana: I decided on the 500 V8. No replacement for displacement :devil:

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Cad engines are cheap! There's a 1970 472 here for $125!!!! Can't beat that!
And I would take a Cadillac engine any day over some cheap chevy engine!

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
caddydaddy said:
And I would take a Cadillac engine any day over some cheap chevy engine!
Hey some of us have cheap Chevy engines that came OE in our Cadillacs!

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ok, the 500 would be hella cool, but a 350 would be easier. GM put 350's in that body style twards the late 80's if I remember right. You're gona have to do some major cutting to fit a 500. But again, it'll be hella cool. I've seen it done so the option is deffinatly open. Actually, didn't the 80 - 83 models come with 472? Anyway, You're gona need a new tranny regaurdles. That Hydromatic 250 will fall apart backing either of the 2. A new tranny crossmember may be needed, but I'm not positive on that. Nice part is you should be able to use one from an 80's caprice if nessecary. If you have smog where you live I would look into that first. If that's a factor you may be limited to the 350. If that's not a conserne then go with what you want and what you can afford.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is this smog crap? :p

·
Registered
266 Posts
LOL, I know. We don't have it here in FL either but I notiched some parts of TX have inspection stickers. Wasn't possitive. Something that got stuck in my head living in CA though. It sucks building cars out there. Is this gona pass, is that gona pass? Just look'n out for ya brother.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
In indiana, they dont care what you do. I have a friend who has a 91 GP, and he has basically straight pipe for his exaust. He took out the cat. converter, and got a different muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well all of Texas we got inspection stickers but not the smog check. Thats only in Houston, Dallas, and El Paso.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I like the sounds of five hundred cubic inches

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Same here. But I like the look of the punk's face once he gets dusted by a 4000 lbs. Caddy :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
This month's Car Craft included an '82 Fleetwood Brougham with a 500 and 150 HP shot of N20 -- and it won the street eliminator!

http://www.carcraft.com/eventcoverage/0302_real/index5.html

Hot Rod did a profile on the car in January as well. Anyway, I don't think the 500 swap should be a major issue. It should be easy enought to come by everything you'll need, and those motors are strong as hell!

Cheers,
Jeff

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts