Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Eldorado
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just a dumb 19 year old kid so if there is an easy solution don't kill me.

I am working on my 1975 Cadillac El Dorado I got from my Grandpa last year. From what I can read it has a Turbo 400 transmission and a GM 500ci V8. The engine siezed a crank bearing a few months ago so I got a new 500 and began removing the old one. After using a 60" monkey wrench to turn the engine I had all the torque coverter bolts off that held it to the flywheel(4 bolts right?). I removed all the other crap(wires, cables, tranny bolts on the block, bell housing bolts, starter, etc) and broke out the lift. No matter how hard I pryed with a crow bar, the number of screw drivers I jammed the gap with, or the number of dudes I had help me pull on the lift with; we could not get the damn engine to budge.

It separates from the bell housing a little but will not budge. Please help. :bighead:

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I haven't played with any Eldorado's but I have had engines that can stick to the motor mounts pretty hard. Sometimes I have to rip the shirt off like the Incredible Hulk and get violent with it. I hope there isn't a hidden bolt somewhere that you may have overlooked. You got all 6 bolts from the trans to engine? Does the engine raise at all? If there is a hidden bolt somewhere an Eldo expert should chime in soon.

·
Registered
1975 Eldorado
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor mount to chassis bolts are off and I can lift the engine off the chassis. The problem is it is just stuck on the transsmission it seems. The flywheel doesnt seem to what to separate from the torque conveter even though I can spin the torque converter with my my finger more or less, without moving the flywheel.

I am a Mercedes techy at heart so working on these big old super luxury cars is fun but a world apart in terms of design. I am shooting in the dark it seems.

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts
To remove the engine, you have to pull the crossover shaft underneath. Otherwise it hits the oil pan. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

1 - 4 of 4 Posts