Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Cadillac Hearse 472
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that might be the bug with the Porsche engine in it :p or the saturn SL1 with the supercharged v8 with nitro in it.

·
Registered
'92 Brougham 5.7ltr
44 Posts
A friend of mine once bought a bug, converted to a truck, with a Sirocco motor in it. Bad bad bad idea if you ask me. Bugs weren't meant to be water cooled. Where's the radiator go? In my buddies truck it went in the front trunk, but there wasn't nearly enough air flow. Thing overheated and blew a head gasket.

·
Registered
1974 Cadillac Hearse 472
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea it could have gone in my hearse :p haha but then I would get worse MPG and have to use premium gas?

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
Premium in a 500? Time for Craig to step in and educate us. Anyhow, you don't need a 500, but I do. If you ever DO however get a 500, I will buy your current engine from you.

·
Registered
1974 Cadillac Hearse 472
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told because of the compression on the 500 you need premium but advice is not always right :p

haha my hearse is way heavier than yours Dullahan :p I need moar powa

There is a running complete 1972 500 from air box to oil pan with accessories for $600 (the guy originally listed it for $600 then raised the price to $850 so I know he will at least take $600

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
I don't imagine that the car would go any faster. That is too much weight to drop on it and seeing as how the engine is not transverse, there is probably something screwy (and power robbing) with the transmission. I definitely wouldn't want to be sitting next to that smoldering monster when it reached the boiling point.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Maybe the engine and tranny came from an Eldorado with the transverse tranny. A little cutting and welding would get that to fit, a little suspension upgrade and your good to go a million miles a hour. I think its better than the crusher it was going to. And thats pretty original, must be a caddy fan.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
I forgot that the 500's in the Eldos weren't transversely mounted, like every other FWD car ever made. I still think it's too heavy for that car, and the added weight combined with the decrease in handling, would keep it a little subdued anytime it's not going in a straight line.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I was told because of the compression on the 500 you need premium but advice is not always right :p

haha my hearse is way heavier than yours Dullahan :p I need moar powa

There is a running complete 1972 500 from air box to oil pan with accessories for $600 (the guy originally listed it for $600 then raised the price to $850 so I know he will at least take $600
If your car weighs in at 8,000 it's not really much heavier than mine. My car's engine will be either a 454, 455, 472 or 500. I would prefer the 500, but the 454 is by far the easiest to find.

·
Registered
1974 Cadillac Hearse 472
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did you see the one on craigslist in jax? Also when you get to jax one time there is a junkyard on normandy blvd that has a bunch of old caddy limos and a bunch of older caddies there too. It costs $2 or $3 to get in there and they don't know what is in their inventory but they have previously had those cars every time I went so I imagine they are still there or other ones of the same type are. If you go take me :p lol

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Awesome. Maybe I can find that piece of trim. I saw a great 500 in tarpon Springs that was rebuilt in 2008, but that's kind of far (Not from my Grandfather's farm though) and last night Matt and I discovered one in Polk County someplace nearby. At the moment I have rather limited funds due to a number of random expenses over the last month, whereas I had more than enough to purchase it (damn you PEPBOYS!). At this exact moment in time I've about $300 to my name, minus the $131 for the traffic ticket and about $80 more that I need for rent so...yeah...

Of course when I visit the junkyards I'll take you, you're the only other Hearse owner in the state (or so it seems) and that basically makes you family.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts