1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 star shine as one used it

5 star shine is one of banner on this site -

Has anyone used the product?
Is there any discount for being a member?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Re: 5 star shine as one used it

airbalancer said:
5 star shine is one of banner on this site
as anyone used the product
is there any discount for being a member
I have purchased this product to see how it worked, it looked good when first applied but within a few weeks it did not bead water anymore. :( It says it contains PTFE resins which is used in teflon (non stick cookware) We know teflon does not work in wax products according to what Dupont says (maker of teflon) in this letter.

Although Teflon® is an exceptional product when used as intended, it provides no benefit in a wax or polish. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care
Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon® flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that
indicates the use of Teflon® fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Manufacturers
of gimmicky, over-hyped products sometimes claim that their products contain Teflon®, hoping that the consumer will believe there is something special about that
product. Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon® is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish." This
is hot enough that your car's paint (let alone your car) wouldn't survive.
Teflon® is a registered trademark of Dupont.

·
Registered
2 Posts
5 Star Shine

Hi, I have used 5 Star Shine and I have found that it does work as it has been described. I have had it on my car for over 6 months now with the same beading action as it has had when I put it on. I don't even need soap to wash, i just use water and a car brush....

In response to the Dupont quote, the way I understand that 5 star works based on reading their patent on the US Patent/trademark website is that: the solution in which the teflon is suspended and the way it interacts and cures to the cars paint surface is what allows the teflon to become interlocked with the paint surface. Because of this process the teflon doesn't need to be heated to 'fuse' to the paint.

As with any car finish protection, the surface preparation is the most important part prior to applying. They recommend using a clay bar to clean the paint surface of the impurities. I can only surmise that hcvone didn't use it/prepare the paint correctly. There shouldn't be such a disparity in protection and time.

dropline

·
Registered
2 Posts
5 Star

Hi Sandman, Of course, thanks for the welcome!
After trying the product, I became a believer and now I am working with them to see just how many people out there know of/have heard of or tried the product. I found the nico site thread to be an active place where all people, many skeptics included as you'll see, can look to if they would be more interested. I'd be happy to see if 5 Star would sponsor the Cadillac site if it is affordable. Do you have that info so I could pass it on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted there on Nico about the 5 Star Shine. To be honest, I still do not completely believe in their claim of one application and you are done. Mainly because that would put us detailers out of biz if that word ever got out. Chadster, on Nico, knows more about this stuff than I do ... but I think more over, he is a salesman and not a detailer. They say the shine is amazing ... do they mean like this picture? I did this clients vehicle yesterday with Poorboys Products. May not last as long as a true synthetic, but you can still get a good 3-6 months out of it and for a fraction of the price.

Cujo

Here are the pics ..
http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten?id=3741&album=7440

Attachments

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Welcome aboard.. If you'd like more information on building a mutually beneficial relationship between 5 Star Shine and CadillacForums.com, please click the following link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/advertising.html

These plans come with the Supporting Vendor program INCLUDED. :)

Thanks for signing up...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome EVERYONE from NICO......

The 5 star stuff looks pretty good..... There is a member that is going to put it on his G35, and Im anxious to see how it does.....

Personally, I would use it...... I dont care if it lasts forever, I like waxing every 3-4 months......

·
Registered
15 Posts
elwesso said:
Welcome EVERYONE from NICO......

The 5 star stuff looks pretty good..... There is a member that is going to put it on his G35, and Im anxious to see how it does.....

Personally, I would use it...... I dont care if it lasts forever, I like waxing every 3-4 months......
If you like waxing that often then why in the world would you spend that much money on it? LOL Doesnt make sense. You can get I think a gallon of Meguairs #20 Polymer Sealant that will last 3-6 months for the same price. In fact, you can get a gallon of most sealants for the same price.

Im sorry, but Im very leary on products that say one time application only will protect your paint. I can buy into a year, but they do not say that. If they would be honest and say .. Hey it lasts a good year per application .. then I can see myself trying it. Im sure the 5 Star product is decent stuff though. Once someone can post they have had the same application on for a min of a year then I will look into it more.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
It depends on who the consumer is......

For me, as a big car enthusiast, I like taking care of my car..... But for others, they want their car to look nice without having to think about it.....

Id use this stuff, for people like my grandparents...... Its good because they cant wax the car, but they want it to be nice...... Even if it does last only a year, I still think it beats paying less and doing it more often.......'

but not for me.......

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
I'm an old detailer/waxer/cleaner from way back (Meguire's Disciple) and I don't do it for a living. I do it 'cuz I like a nice, clean, sanno'd car to drive and be seen in.

I think that at some point in all of this "which is best" stuff, the question must come up "How shiny is shiny?" and "When is enough, enough?"" When you have sweated through 2 days of applications of products, getting ready for a car show (as I have, for my '72 mustang coupe), sooner or later you start to wonder if the products you are putting on and wiping off are really doing anything more for the gloss factor. After washing, light cut cleaner-ing, swirl remover-ing, glazing and hi-tech yellow waxing, just how much benefit am I getting by squirting the "Instant Detailer" on the damn car all day at the show? Not too much, I'd wager.

I bought the Meguire's poly sealant for the first time this year and tried it on my Caddy (daily driver). I bought it more for it's claim of "easy on and easy off". than for any other reason, and the fact it was made by Meguire's - it had some pedigree to it. And it performed flawlessly. It gave me a great shine, was extra-easy on the arm/shoulder and certainly appears to last longer than Meguires Hi-Tech Yellow wax as far as beading up, etc.

Yes, Meguire's can be expensive, but not as expensive as the Zaino treatments or some of the other hi-end solutions on the market today. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good, diligent shine that someone has laid down on their chariot - it shows they care about their ride and are proud enough to show it off. But at what point do we say we have gotten the maximum shine and protection out of a product? When it blinds us from 20 feet away? 50 feet? When it lasts for 6 months? A year? 5 years?

I've been inhaling the fumes of waxes and cleaners since the old Simonize days and I've tried just about all of the more established cleaners and waxes and polishes and miracle cures. They all more or less got the car clean and laid down a protective layer on the car. They vary as to strength and longevity; you also get what you pay for - up to a point.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Frost said:
I'm an old detailer/waxer/cleaner from way back (Meguire's Disciple) and I don't do it for a living. I do it 'cuz I like a nice, clean, sanno'd car to drive and be seen in.

I think that at some point in all of this "which is best" stuff, the question must come up "How shiny is shiny?" and "When is enough, enough?"" When you have sweated through 2 days of applications of products, getting ready for a car show (as I have, for my '72 mustang coupe), sooner or later you start to wonder if the products you are putting on and wiping off are really doing anything more for the gloss factor. After washing, light cut cleaner-ing, swirl remover-ing, glazing and hi-tech yellow waxing, just how much benefit am I getting by squirting the "Instant Detailer" on the damn car all day at the show? Not too much, I'd wager.

I bought the Meguire's poly sealant for the first time this year and tried it on my Caddy (daily driver). I bought it more for it's claim of "easy on and easy off". than for any other reason, and the fact it was made by Meguire's - it had some pedigree to it. And it performed flawlessly. It gave me a great shine, was extra-easy on the arm/shoulder and certainly appears to last longer than Meguires Hi-Tech Yellow wax as far as beading up, etc.

Yes, Meguire's can be expensive, but not as expensive as the Zaino treatments or some of the other hi-end solutions on the market today. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good, diligent shine that someone has laid down on their chariot - it shows they care about their ride and are proud enough to show it off. But at what point do we say we have gotten the maximum shine and protection out of a product? When it blinds us from 20 feet away? 50 feet? When it lasts for 6 months? A year? 5 years?

I've been inhaling the fumes of waxes and cleaners since the old Simonize days and I've tried just about all of the more established cleaners and waxes and polishes and miracle cures. They all more or less got the car clean and laid down a protective layer on the car. They vary as to strength and longevity; you also get what you pay for - up to a point.

After applying Meguiar's products for 10 years at our 36 shops I have to disagree about the cost factor, I know many people including myself that can get 30 plus applications on a Vette from a $13.00 bottle of Zaino polish, for that price I usually get no more than half that many applications from any other wax that I have used. I can even got 20 applications on the Escalade, under a dollar a application is pretty cheap. :)

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Of course the cost will look attractive if you only use one component of the ZAINO "system" and geographical location has to be factored in re: price, also. Up here (Canada) the ZAINO complete package is well over a hundred bucks and doesn't do anywhere near the number of vehicles mentioned. Not to mention the time/effort involved in adhering to all the steps in their system.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Frost said:
Of course the cost will look attractive if you only use one component of the ZAINO "system" and geographical location has to be factored in re: price, also. Up here (Canada) the ZAINO complete package is well over a hundred bucks and doesn't do anywhere near the number of vehicles mentioned. Not to mention the time/effort involved in adhering to all the steps in their system.
What "other steps" ? Wash your car/truck with Dawn and apply Zaino, you do not need the whole package to use Zaino polish, you only need Z-1 & Z-2, that is about $20.00 US, and you only need to use Z-1 twice a year. You will spend more if you would get ZFX & Z-2, that is about $35.00 US, but there are no other steps with ZFX & Z-2, you wash with Dawn and apply the ZFX/Z-2 mixture, there are no more steps than that if your car/truck is in good shape. If your not getting the coverage like I described above I would talk to your Zaino distributor and see why you are using so much product, because it sounds like your applying your polish too thick. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been a good boy, and I always try to be a good boy. But part of being a good boy is speaking the truth.

My car is 4 years old, and it has never been waxed. The interesteing thing is that everyone asks "what type of wax do you use?" That's because the car looks as good as any waxed car, and looks ten times better than most waxed cars. (It washing/drying technique that maintains my car's "waxed" luster. Maybe I'll post the way I wash a car.)

Let's get to the point: If I tried your product, does it come with a written money back garuntee? Meaing that if it doesn't make my 4-yer-old, unwaxed car shine more than it does now, I get a full refund--including s & h--for returning the remainder of the unused product?

·
Registered
25 Posts
an01sts:
Please post how you wash your car. I am most interested in your approach. lower cost, shorter time (i hope)? what could be better?

·
Registered
261 Posts
ywrotk:

I was kinda' hoping that the snake oil salesmen--any of them--would step forward and say "Yes, we'll give you your money back if your now waxed car doesn't shine more than it did when unwaxed." Speaks volumes about all of their products when they run off and hide--huh?

If I were selling the stuff and I knew my product would outshine his method, I'd step forward and say "Yes Mr. an01sts, if our product doesn't make your car shine more, we'll give you your money back, including s & h, for the return of the unsued portion."

Even if they knew it wouldn't--and they would have to refund my money--you would think that it would be worth their while to shut me up because I'm bad for business. Even if I posted that it didn't make a difference and I got a refund, their rebuttal would be "This guy is an @$$hole. Look at all of our satisfied customers." The problem is that other finikey people may wake up and say, "@$$hole has a point! I cannot see a difference either. I want my money back too."

That's the reason why the no reply. When being called on selling bogus products, the best solution is to ignore me and hope that everyone else, likewise, ignores me.

Don't take my word for it: There is other documentation, promoting snake oil, that proves that these products are a wast of time, effort, and money. Read up and you'll see

<I haven't applied any weasel piss to the car for over 18 months--I'm lazy--and the water beads just like the first day I waxed it. All I do is wash it.>

Excuse me! The wax is long gone after 18 months. It shines--just like my unwaxed pushing 4 year old car--because waxes are snake oil and washing techniques are the key to fine finishes. Yep, all I do is wash it too!

Yes, I'll post the way I wash my car because the shine/luster is controlled by the way you wash your car, not by snake oils. I want to do it on a word processor so that my spelling quirks aren't visible; after all, I would like to present myself at a higher level than snake oil salesmen. I'll get it up in a few days, and it will be on its own thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts