Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About six months ago, I'd purchased some new spark plugs and wires with the intention of changing them within a week or so. After searching this forum and finding posts regarding installation, I'd decided to wait for warmer weather.

Well, warmer weather has arrived, and I finally got around to it this weekend and spent a good portion of Saturday afternoon changing everything. The job wasn't bad, with the exception of the removal of the old wires. There clearly isn't a lot of room on the passenger side. The difficulty of the job was compounded by the fact that the plugs on the passenger side are pointing towards the rear. The dipstick tube at the number 4 cylinder didn't help either.

In all, it me about 5 hours to get the job done, which may be a record time for a spark plug and wire change. Some parts of the job required that I take my mechanics gloves off (in some of the really tight spots) but in all, I have no scratches or cuts, which is pretty amazing to me since I have large hands.

The overall result is that the car runs smoother and it has noticeably quicker throttle response. The car appeared to have the original plugs and wires from when it was new. There was evidence that at least two of the OEM wires had voltage leakage, so it was time that they got replaced.

In all it was an interesting experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if need be. Hopefully a little quicker next time.

-Cory

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
My SHO used to eat plugs since I was getting moisture in the plug wells. I replaced the plugs maybe 6-7 times until I got the moisture problem fixed. But I got it to where I could change the plugs in 20 minutes. That was a feat considering it was a transversely mounted engine with a huge intake manifold and had a strut tower brace blocking the way.

I did mine on the V while the headers were being changed. With B&B headers, the plugs and wires can now be done in 45 minutes or so...

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
I had mine done when the Maggie went on (and went colder too) but since I was running SUPER rich after my PCM debacle I should at least pull one and check them but I really dont feel like spending 5 hours doing this.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing the battery makes the passenger side a lot easier to work on.
Thanks heavy. I'd read that in a few posts, but I decided that I didn't want to go that route. I ended up removing the coils for both sides and that gave me the access that I needed. It also helped with getting the old wires off and the new wires on. I will say that it was the passenger side that took 80% of the total job time.

My SHO used to eat plugs since I was getting moisture in the plug wells. I replaced the plugs maybe 6-7 times until I got the moisture problem fixed. But I got it to where I could change the plugs in 20 minutes. That was a feat considering it was a transversely mounted engine with a huge intake manifold and had a strut tower brace blocking the way.

I did mine on the V while the headers were being changed. With B&B headers, the plugs and wires can now be done in 45 minutes or so...
45 minutes?! I guess that's a mod in my future. I have a B&B catback with resonator in the car now, and I've been contemplating a set of B&B headers.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Thanks heavy. I'd read that in a few posts, but I decided that I didn't want to go that route. I ended up removing the coils for both sides and that gave me the access that I needed. It also helped with getting the old wires off and the new wires on. I will say that it was the passenger side that took 80% of the total job time.

45 minutes?! I guess that's a mod in my future. I have a B&B catback with resonator in the car now, and I've been contemplating a set of B&B headers.
Tons more room with the B&Bs. And you also know what you need to move now...

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
2,061 Posts
About six months ago, I'd purchased some new spark plugs and wires with the intention of changing them within a week or so. After searching this forum and finding posts regarding installation, I'd decided to wait for warmer weather.

Well, warmer weather has arrived, and I finally got around to it this weekend and spent a good portion of Saturday afternoon changing everything. The job wasn't bad, with the exception of the removal of the old wires. There clearly isn't a lot of room on the passenger side. The difficulty of the job was compounded by the fact that the plugs on the passenger side are pointing towards the rear. The dipstick tube at the number 4 cylinder didn't help either.

In all, it me about 5 hours to get the job done, which may be a record time for a spark plug and wire change. Some parts of the job required that I take my mechanics gloves off (in some of the really tight spots) but in all, I have no scratches or cuts, which is pretty amazing to me since I have large hands.

The overall result is that the car runs smoother and it has noticeably quicker throttle response. The car appeared to have the original plugs and wires from when it was new. There was evidence that at least two of the OEM wires had voltage leakage, so it was time that they got replaced.

In all it was an interesting experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if need be. Hopefully a little quicker next time.

-Cory
did you take any pics?

what was your main reason for changing them and what is your mileage?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you take any pics?

what was your main reason for changing them and what is your mileage?
Nah, no photos. The mileage on the car was 52,111. The main reason for the swap was that I didn't know the history of the car since I bought it used, so I didn't know if anything had ever been replaced. And I just thought that it was time.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had mine done when the Maggie went on (and went colder too) but since I was running SUPER rich after my PCM debacle I should at least pull one and check them but I really dont feel like spending 5 hours doing this.
Mine took 5 hours because I hadn't changed the plugs and wires on a V before. Now that I have a procedure to follow, and since the boots aren't stuck on the plugs, it should only take a fraction of that if I need to do it again.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tons more room with the B&Bs. And you also know what you need to move now...
Aye, tis a bit on the noisy side, but sweet! Headers will sound much better, but I can't imagine driving the car and making that much noise at 6:20 am when I leave everyday!

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Aye, tis a bit on the noisy side, but sweet! Headers will sound much better, but I can't imagine driving the car and making that much noise at 6:20 am when I leave everyday!
Wake those greeney bastards up! Even better when you go sans cats...

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
There is a guy that frives a Ford 350 diesel with 4 inch stacks by my house every day at 1 am. I live in a quiet neighbor hood. I hate the bastard. When he was coming down the hill in the snow and missed the turn, broke his axel in front of my house, I cheered from the front window. Go for it.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
No.... not currently. I've been bitten by the bug. But it's not gonna happen yet. Talk more at V day.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a guy that frives a Ford 350 diesel with 4 inch stacks by my house every day at 1 am. I live in a quiet neighbor hood. I hate the bastard. When he was coming down the hill in the snow and missed the turn, broke his axel in front of my house, I cheered from the front window. Go for it.
Man, I feel your pain. There is some character with a Ducati or some sort of V-twin that goes past my house at about 3 in the morning revving and blipping through every gear.

Bigjim, I just don't want to be the guy who all the neighbors shake their fists at! As it is, I scare the cyclists when I come down the street at 3,000 rpm's.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet
835 Posts
What brand wires & plugs did you go with? GM/ACDelco OE? If the wires were aftermarket, how was the fitment?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Man, I feel your pain. There is some character with a Ducati or some sort of V-twin that goes past my house at about 3 in the morning revving and blipping through every gear.

Bigjim, I just don't want to be the guy who all the neighbors shake their fists at! As it is, I scare the cyclists when I come down the street at 3,000 rpm's.
On the flipside, my Town Car is too quiet. In a parking lot or some of the back roads near my home, pedestrians and cyclists can't hear me coming and get in the way. boom.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac CTS-V
346 Posts
Its a pain in the ass if you don't have a boot removal tool when changing the OEM Red AC Delco wires. Once those metal jackets are off, your next tune up shouldn't take that long at all.

Removal of the battery and the 3 zip ties that hold the wiring harness to the fuse box on the passenger side helped out a lot. I ended up zip tying the harness to the upper portion of the battery bracket to keep it from falling while i was working. As for the dipstick getting into the way, it only took a very slight bend to get enough clearance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts