Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a broken center arm rest, havent taken advantage of Lindsay's great deal on CTS center arm rests (almost 1/2 price!!), but are still annoyed with the rattle, I have a simple and cheap solution.

My armrest had been rattling for a while and it could get quite annoying on some bumpy roads, I was tempted to get the armrest from Lindsay, but then though to myself "Dammit, this car has a lower armrest for a reason". I grabbed some Great Stuff from around the house and sqirted a bit in the bottom of the arm rest. After a little while it had foam oozing out of the injection hole, I just trimmed it even with the arm rest and no more rattle.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
288 Posts
:yeah: My rattle was from one of the bolts popping out. The cover is only pressure fit; it can be popped off and the offending loose bolt fished out and screwed back in.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
the underside of mine looks like this:

mine also rattles, like it's got some play in it. i considered stuffing something in the hole too. is that the problem you had, and is that what you did to fix it? i don't even know what the thing's supposed to look like fixed, it's just been broken the whole time i've had the car

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
I was tempted to get the armrest from Lindsay, but then though to myself "Dammit, this car has a lower armrest for a reason".
Yeah the jerk who thought it was a good idea was fired and went to work for Daimler Chrysler, who was then sold off for a 30 billion dollar loss, but he still works for them. :D By the way he's also the one who told them the Cadillac pinstriping didn't need to be on the V either. If I ever find him so far he owes me about 250.00 ;)

The CTS Armrest is one of the better things that can be done to the car for it's relative low cost.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
17 Posts
the underside of mine looks like this:

mine also rattles, like it's got some play in it. i considered stuffing something in the hole too. is that the problem you had, and is that what you did to fix it? i don't even know what the thing's supposed to look like fixed, it's just been broken the whole time i've had the car
Wow, that's identical to the cracking in mine. I was worried that the dealer might give me some BS about a warranty replacement, but now I know that I'm not the only one with this problem.

//Edward

·
Registered
67 Posts
Same story. I had mine replaced under warranty. I ended up buying the CTS console from Lindsey, but now I have a new CTS-V armrest sitting on my shelf for future use.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
wouldn't consider selling it would you?

or should i try to get warranty to replace it?

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
209 Posts
Mine had a rattle in at 10,000 miles, so I took it apart ( very easy) and replaced the screw and tightened the other screws and no rattle at 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just get it replaced under warranty. You should then buy the CTS console lid from Lindsey. It is worth the investment.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
just FYI, i also used "Great Stuff". got sick of it, went to Home Depot yesterday, forced the pipe into the crack under the armrest, and pulled the trigger until stuff started oozing out. i then wiped the excess off, and left it till the next morning.

my armrest works just fine now. no rattles, and the stuff inside is solid :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts