Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy at the dealership who saw my car and was interested in buying it until he saw the little black wires going into the top of the strut or shock tower. He said "I didn't know Caddies had the air ride in 1991, my '95 had 'em and when 1 shock went bad, they would not sell me one, Cadillac makes me buy all four!" Total cost 5500 (Canadian dollars of course.) I guess this kinda freaks me out a little. I couldn't afford to fix something like this. It is way overpriced! Why so much? Why would the CCR go bad anyway? Is it just higher mileage cars that might suffer from this problem? Also, what are "passive struts" from other threads, I've seen this term?:mad: :crying2: :bonkers: :crybaby:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Well, you can, as you probably know, replace them with passive struts (ie not controlled my the computer, normal struts basically). Active is just what it means, it is active and changes the damping force at any given time. Passive struts have the same damping force all the time. The CCR goes bad because, like all struts, go bad. Thats just the nature of the beast.

Supposedly the CCR gives the car a better ride, but I have heard that the rides with active and passive struts are about the same.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
The CCR system usually doesnt go bad until close to 100k miles, so you have a long way to go :D

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I wouldnt see any reason to get rid of it.... Resale isnt going to be the best, and something with such low miles is becoming extremely rare.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wait a sec. Ralph. You have a FWD Fleetwood, right? Not the Big body RWD Brougham? That would make more sence. I'm sit'n here reading this woundering what the hell ya'll are talkin about and equating it to the Big 4 dr.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scrapyard: yeah, mine is a FWD, and I hope that still means that I can simply put in the so called passive struts and shocks. Wes, thats why I was considering selling it NOW, because it was hardly driven by my stepdad. I was actually offered 22,000 which is probably like 10,000 U.S.? Enough for a Neon, but who wants one of those!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Dude, dont sell it..... Save it, there cant be very many with only 22k. Save some money and get another car as a daily, because in 10 years it will be worth a fortune.....

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ideally, yeah, but in ten years, we will probably all be driving electric cars in Canada (because the Liberal Govt. wants to adopt the Kyoto Protocal) and in ten years gas in Canada will be 4.00 a litre!? For now I am trying th keep the K off of it.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Well that would almost make it better.... You buy a tank, take it out once a week to keep it running good, and drive the electric as a daily.... Maybe you dont understand, but i know of someone who just paid 17k for a 1990 Q45 with 46k!!!! People value cars that have been meticulously kept WITH low miles... There are many cars out there with low miles (50k or so), but may have only had 4 oil changes in their life. IF you have done everything according to the book, and continue it, it will be worth a fortune.

When you watch a car show, and see people that bought 20 year old cars that were origional for like $60k, and their in mint condition.... THAT COULD BE YOU!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you should keep the car cuz like everyone else said its gunna be worth money and if you get another car as ur daily u'll value the caddy more,don't sell it

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Its pretty unanimous, ralph!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Why would you want a house, your caddy has heat, AC, and a big comfy couch..... What more do you need???? :D

(maybe just a TV and your laptop so you can talk to us)

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
elwesso said:
Why would you want a house, your caddy has heat, AC, and a big comfy couch..... What more do you need???? :D

(maybe just a TV and your laptop so you can talk to us)
I think the new Jags have the tv's on the back of the headrests, no need for a house really. And the new Volvo s80's have a little refridgerator between the seats in back!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
There are passives for that car as far as I know Ralph....Mine were about $70 each or something like that.....I installed them myself. It's a bit of a job but it's doable!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kcnewell said:
There are passives for that car as far as I know Ralph....Mine were about $70 each or something like that.....I installed them myself. It's a bit of a job but it's doable!
That does put my mind at ease, especially for the long haul when I get highmileage at some point. I guess only the dealer can program it like you mentioned before, to ignore or forget the air shocks are gone. Thanks for the info, now I'm not so paniky about getting rid of it!;)

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,115 Posts
The "CCR" system came out on the 91 and 92 models. It stands for Computer Command Ride. The name was changed in 1993 on the Deville and Sixty Special (the "Fleetwood" name was dropped from the FWD cars due to the new RWD Fleetwood) to "SSS" which stands for Speed Sensitive Suspension. What this system does is based on vehicle speed, the computer can change the damping on each individual strut between "Normal," "Firm," and "Soft" to give the best ride again depending on vehicle speed. This is different from the "RSS" (Road Sensing Suspension) that was offered on the 93-95 Northstar Cadillacs that used a wheel position sensor at each wheel to determine road surface and adjusted the four struts individually in about 1/10th of a second between "firm" and "soft" to give the optimum ride on any road surface. It was changed again in 1996 to CVRSS (Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension) that was similar to the RSS except that the system could control the damping from "firm" to "soft" and any position in between depending on the input to the computer. Braking, accelerating, cornering all also have input to the CVRSS module to control damping.

This system is seperate from the Electronic Level Control System that utilizes an air compressor and exhaust valve to inflate or exhaust the rear suspension according to the weight in the car. Without RSS (or CVRSS) the ELC uses a height control module to determine rear height and inflate/exhaust the rear shocks. With RSS (or CVRSS) the rear height is determined by the rear wheel position sensors. The rear shocks with the ELC and CCR, SSS, RSS, or CVRSS contain an air chamber to inflate/exhaust the shocks as well as an electrical solenoid to change the damping mode which again is all integral with the rear shocks. The front struts do not have an air chamber, only the electrical solenoid to change the damping mode.

When the electrical portion of the shock/strut fails, the computer can no longer control the damping mode of that shock/strut and will illuminate the "Service CCR," Service SSS" light or display the message "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" in the DIC that everyone dreads. When these messages are displayed, it means that the electrical portion of the shock/strut has failed and needs to be replace and the computer usually commands all 4 shocks/struts to the full "FIRM" mode. You can still drive the car and it won't hurt anything other than the ride is usually a little more firm and that blasted message is always on. This usually has no effect on the ELC system. It will still function normally.

The reason it is so expensive to replace is that each shock usually costs around $700 due to the electronics of it. You can usually get a passive replacement that has no electronics for a lot less but then you have to go through the hassle of finding a way do disable the message or just live with it.

I hope this clears a few things up.

Max

1 - 20 of 53 Posts