Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned the 5.0 engine in 5 cars and including two 1989 Broughams I presently own. I start burning oil at about 165,000 miles on all. I buy used with about 70,000 and then usaully add my 100,000 in road miles. I live in northern MN usally garaged, with a few week below -20f. When on the road may have one to five to ten sub zero unpluged starts a season. Other than the unplugged starts it's all TLC. I run with 5W30 nonsynthetic oil in winter.

I know I should have the valve cover off for a look and a comprssion check for rings. But before I have a look please give me you experiences.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
You could probably use a higher weight oil and that may help....

Also, I hear those stop smoke products really work..... Might try that also.....

Welcome to cadillacforums, thanks for signing up :wave:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own a 1986 Brougham. Last night I purchased some of that "Stop Leak, Engine Quiet" stuff from Autozone. I seriously has quieted the engine more than I thought. The stuff is super thick, like molasses, takes a little while to get it out of the bottle. I havent been able to check it's leak stopping abilities as of yet (only been in the engine one night). I would recommend dumping some of this stuff in next time you change your oil.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Ive also heard that the stop smoke stuff works really good too!

correct me if im wrong, but all your doing with those things is making the oil thicker..... you can always switch to a heavier grade oil....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts