Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will all 4T80E transmissions, for years 1994-1999, run on a 1996 Northstar engine & PCM?

I would imagine, if there are any differences, they would be with wiring pigtail or the final drive gears?

I have a 1996 transmission that just started to grind going into park from reverse. There is no reverse when you put it into reverse.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Not sure about the electrics/electronics - 1996 was the change from OBD1 to OBD-II and the different monitoring protocols, so that might have some influence on transmission control. Also, sometime in the mid-90s Cadillac went from ECM/TCM to a consolidated PCM. That's most definitely wiring/connector different.

The final drive needs to match the engine -

VIN 9 is a 3.71 final with the 300 hp engine.
VIN Y is a 3.11 final with the 275 hp engine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking I'd just swap in another but it looks a little more complicated than that.
So, I'll look for another VIN9 or have mine rebuilt.

Thanks Sub.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Decent transmission work is not cheap. Talk to the guys at Monster Transmission in Florida - they'll build anything you want for about $2700, exchange, shipped to your door.

www.eatmyshift.com

If you lived not far from Kent Island my next door (up the road a piece) neighbor is a professional transmission man. I use his shop and lifts for my car maintenance. He and Marsha get home made pickles, preserves, and pie fillings in exchange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts