Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never done a swap from 3.11 to 3.71 gears. Bert want to wake up his DHS and make it a DTS. I think The VIN Y cams are equal if not better in 03. I did some checking and it looks like 2 part numbers is all I will need.
#24205233 is a Carrier, Front Diff. INCLS 101 to 109.
#08678825 is the sun gear
Just the two parts. I can not say my price, but it is worth it. He has the 17" rims already. The difference between the 3.11 with 16" and the 3.71 with 17" is about 3 to 4 MPH at 70.
I would need to set the ABS up for the 3.71 also.

24205233 List $659.60 Trademotion.com $379.73

8678825 List $144.56 Trademotion.com $83.22

Has anyone done this?
I can program it for 3.71

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone done this swap???????????????:hitstick: :hitstick: :dammit:

:wtf: :burn:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have. Pretty simple. The only difficult part is getting the 10" snap ring out. That sucker is like 1/4" thick and difficult to get out of the groove.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
You might want to tell the computer about the change. I dunno what the side effects would be without it. I suppose you could always go to a dealer and get them to use the Tech Scan Tool on it.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have. Pretty simple. The only difficult part is getting the 10" snap ring out. That sucker is like 1/4" thick and difficult to get out of the groove.
The ring gear is the same part # so the snap ring won't need to come off.
correct?

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might want to tell the computer about the change. I dunno what the side effects would be without it. I suppose you could always go to a dealer and get them to use the Tech Scan Tool on it.

Let us know how it goes.
I work at a Dealer and can tune the PCM.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I think that would be the idea situation. The LD8 engine (good torque) with the 3.71:1 final drive. That's how the Pontiac Bonne GXP came I believe (with the 275 hp engine and 3.71 transaxle).

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that would be the idea situation. The LD8 engine (good torque) with the 3.71:1 final drive. That's how the Pontiac Bonne GXP came I believe (with the 275 hp engine and 3.71 transaxle).
2005 Pontiac Bonneville
RPO....FV4...Ratio Transaxle Final Drive 3.71
.........LD8...Engine Gas, 8 Cyl, 4.6L, MFI, V6, HO
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The ring gear is the same part # so the snap ring won't need to come off.
correct?
If you can get by without removing that snap ring, then do it. I don't know to be honest, but I don't know why I would go through all that work if they were the same part :bouncy:

But then again, maybe I just assumed they were different.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can get by without removing that snap ring, then do it. I don't know to be honest, but I don't know why I would go through all that work if they were the same part :bouncy:

But then again, maybe I just assumed they were different.
Is the snap ring the one for the sun gear that holds it in place on theoutput shaft?
The ring gear has a large snap ring on it also, but I should not have to take it out.
Warranty time is 3.5 hour to change it.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had so many of these tranys a part it is hard to remember. I am not talking about P0741, but the left aft shaft leak (3rd clutch housing failure) or 4th gear band burn up. I had a finnal drive out in the car once, so I know it can be done. I think 3.5 hrs is a lot of time for the way I did it. I have a special snap ring pliers for the output shaft snap ring.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bert AKA Highline Cady Ordered the parts today.
Now we can see what I have done to a DHS for less than $1000 Total. That would include the exhaust and intake also. Full cat back system.

·
Registered
Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd
305 Posts
Hey just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this, especially AJ. I'm looking forward to the swap. I've driven many, many DTS's and STS's and personally think that the gears (3.71) make a big difference with how the car acts from a dead stop. I just want a little more go off the line and figure that this will help, it can't hurt. Except mileage, but I figure it'll only be 2-4 mpg. We'll see, I'll let you all know after I get it done and run it around for a little while. Parts are already ordered.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I prefer the better torque of the LD8 engine (like what's in the SLS, DeVille, DHS, etc). But the 3.71 final drive vs. the 3.11 final drive should make a nice difference as well. Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Honestly I couldn't really notice a difference in acceleration. Maybe 1/2 sec faster 0-60. Maybe. Maybe not. The highway RPMs were a lot higher. My gas mileage probably went down.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honestly I couldn't really notice a difference in acceleration. Maybe 1/2 sec faster 0-60. Maybe. Maybe not. The highway RPMs were a lot higher. My gas mileage probably went down.
We ran a 15.09 in the 1/4 on a hot humid day with the traction control on

1 - 20 of 72 Posts