Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

So we pulled the 472 engine out of our 68 sedan deville to do some minor freshening up (cam,intake and paint). While it started getting more expensive pretty quickly and am now basically just keeping the heads, block and connecting rods and rockers. Pulled the intake off to find a lot fine metal shavings and what I'll call "bearing pixie dust" mixed with oil. Every moving oiled part was ruined. so I have acquired many of the parts needed but am wanting some insight into what I might be missing. Here a list of what I have planned so far. * means that they've been purchased. Please give me some insight or let me know if I am making a huge mistake. We want this thing perfect the first time and I've only built a few engines. Remember that I am building a torque monster and am keeping the 2.92 rear end and th400 trams for now. In the future a cam swap may be in order when we change those out but that money is going towards the engine for now.

*Msd pro billet distributor

*Msd 6al ignition control

*msd pro blaster 2

*davis ignition live wires

*Edelbrock intake

*Sealed power gasket set

Keith Black KB Performance Pistons KB382-040 .040 over Pistons about 9.8 compression.

*ARP connecting rod bolts

*500 crank .010/.010 radius oil journals. (Let me know if you need one. Got it for $225 and the guy said he though he had a couple.)

All new bearings once it's back for machining.

Mts 2.11 valve set

*COMP Cams Magnum Single Roller Timing Sets 2139

*comps cams dual spring valve springs, seals, retainers, locks and lifters

*Comp 270h cam.

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 270
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 270
Advertised Duration: 270 int./270 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 int./0.516 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Work that needs done by machine shop

Block and heads magnafluxed and cleaned, cam bearings installed, Block clearanced for stroker, heads fitted with springs and valves.

I will be doing some minor porting on the intake end and polishing on the exhaust.

Anything I am missing to keep this thing together or need to know? I will be posting pictures as we move along.

Also this site has been super helpful. Thanks to those that have contributed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I am using the stock 76cc heads. May replace those in the future when I can afford aluminum heads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all.

So we pulled the 472 engine out of our 68 sedan deville to do some minor freshening up (cam,intake and paint). While it started getting more expensive pretty quickly and am now basically just keeping the heads, block and connecting rods and rockers. Pulled the intake off to find a lot fine metal shavings and what I'll call "bearing pixie dust" mixed with oil. Every moving oiled part was ruined. so I have acquired many of the parts needed but am wanting some insight into what I might be missing. Here a list of what I have planned so far. * means that they've been purchased. Please give me some insight or let me know if I am making a huge mistake. We want this thing perfect the first time and I've only built a few engines. Remember that I am building a torque monster and am keeping the 2.92 rear end and th400 trams for now. In the future a cam swap may be in order when we change those out but that money is going towards the engine for now.

*Msd pro billet distributor

*Msd 6al ignition control

*msd pro blaster 2

*davis ignition live wires

*Edelbrock intake

*Sealed power gasket set

Keith Black KB Performance Pistons KB382-040 .040 over Pistons about 9.8 compression.

*ARP connecting rod bolts

*500 crank .010/.010 radius oil journals. (Let me know if you need one. Got it for $225 and the guy said he though he had a couple.)

All new bearings once it's back for machining.

Mts 2.11 valve set

*COMP Cams Magnum Single Roller Timing Sets 2139

*comps cams dual spring valve springs, seals, retainers, locks and lifters

*Comp 270h cam.

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 270
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 270
Advertised Duration: 270 int./270 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 int./0.516 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Work that needs done by machine shop

Block and heads magnafluxed and cleaned, cam bearings installed, Block clearanced for stroker, heads fitted with springs and valves.

I will be doing some minor porting on the intake end and polishing on the exhaust.

Anything I am missing to keep this thing together or need to know? I will be posting pictures as we move along.

Also this site has been super helpful. Thanks to those that have contributed.
what edelbrock intake did you buy and did it fit over the OEM headswater jackets?

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,545 Posts
The guy you are asking has not been here for 5 years, but the answer to your question is there is only one edelbrock and works fine without mods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts