Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Coupe DeVille.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery in my 1970 caddy isnt keeping charged. My battery and alt/generator have been tested at 2 different places and passed. It has a new regulator. All new battery cables and ends. The GEN light go on and off. I have no clue what else it could be that causes the battery to die out. Its a pain in the ass!!

The yellow circle is where the regulator is...the green circle...I have no clue what it is but if Im curious to if thats where my problem is...

All help is appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado Fleetwood
112 Posts
I believe the relay with the green circle on it is the starter relay to the solenoid from the ignition. Usually if that goes bad, it flops around and randomly engages the starter (which is always a fun time).

I had a 1952 Buick that the voltage regulator, for the generator, had a relay go bad and it would stay closed even when the car was off. I eventually figured it out because the belt was loose and the generator would spin when the car was off. The regulator was essentially running the generator as a motor.

Does it take a few days of sitting to go dead? Or will it go dead pretty much overnight? Mine would go dead overnight. If yours takes longer, it could be anything from a weak short to a bad clock.

One fairly quick test would be to make sure your battery is fully charged and then disconnect the voltage regulator. If it's still charged the next day, you may have a bad relay in there.

Hope this helps!

Brandon

·
Registered
Cadillac
100 Posts
Hi JRO

On my 69, as far as I know, that relay is for the blower motor.
I had really crappy charging capabilities a few months ago. Alternator tested fine. decided to upgrade by replacing the stock alternator with a powermaster 100 amp unit. No charging problems since. Bright lights fast windows. ran the battery out a few times since, charges it in no time at all.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted.

Jon

K

·
0 Posts
Generator/Alternator lights normally indicate low voltage.
You need to narrow the problem down to a charging or discharging problem first. If the tests were done on the car it is probably a discharging problem.
With all power off, put a test light in-between the negative cable and post of the battery, any current draw will show by causing it to light. If the tests were done off the car it could be a slipping belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts