Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Ats 2.0 premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to wirte this for a while now but wanted to have some every day experience with the CUE system before i really posted.
So here goes my view on CUE and what i think the system could benefit from. I think this might be helpful to those thinking about getting a car with CUE and it might also allow others to post fixes to my issues or other ways to utilize the system, so please if you see something different then what you experience please post, it helps everyone!!

OK so i traded in my 2008 Honda Civic SI with Nav. It was a great car but i got tired of city driving and the 6sp manual. What a huge jump from a popular honda car into the new 13 ATS Premium! I am very happy over all with the "upgrade".

However I am not so happy with the info-hub CUE. And let me go over the convieneces i did have from a 2008 to the new 2014 software (I updated the software first thing when i got the vehicle.

Voice command- Over all this works fairly has expected, but at the end of your voice session you still have to touch the screen TWICE to confirm the destination...umm doesn't that just sorta defeat the whole "voice command" option? So lets dig into this a little more detailed...
I push the button on the steering wheel to activate voice command....then i have to say "Destination Contacts" Then i have to say which contact "place A" then if it is lucky enough to find the saved contact I then have to pick an option from the screen and then select "GO"...what is the point of having the safety of voice activation when you force on screen interactions to finish the commands?

Next is previous or "saved" contact locations. Most people have seen and have to be frustrated by this. To select a destination it is NOT the larger address that you have to hit it is the little TINY flag icon that is set more to the center of the screen. THIS IS SO ANNOYING. When making a selection for a vehicle touch screen you should really give a LARGE area to make that selection. My parents that have owned Cadillac's for a long time just could not get this tiny flag icon selected, many times even I find that i have missed the TINY flag and now I am in edit address mode. Very poor layout for this option.

Next is the outdated locations on their GPS, even though i have the lastest software I can not tell you how many times i pull up to my destination to find out that ITS NOT THERE!!! A great example is that it shows a McDonalds about 1 mile from my house, that location has not been there for over 6 years!!! Most of the time i have to confirm location and name via my smartphone and then enter it into CUE. This has hapened with fast food places, Home depot, Office depot and it happens enough that when I do finally goto use a new location i always use my smartphone first.

The traffic option via SIRUS is good, however it only shows the road you are on and there is no way to see other traffic on exits or merging onto another highway. A great example is I was traveling on 75 south in Atlanta and was merging onto 20 east...75 south was fine with light traffic but as soon as i merged onto 20 east the traffic took a good 3 mins to tell me "recalculating route" because of an accident, now had i been able to see that 20 east was congested i would have just avoided it, but because the traffic information is so limited in CUE I got stuck anyway. It also does not include traffic for city streets only main thoroughfares. Added that you have to pay a good $60 a year to sirus for this feature to work. (WARNING CADILLAC is misleading most people. most ATS come with "turn by turn" navigation, what they fail to tell you is you have to have ON STAR for that to work...its actually pretty sneaky on their part) to have TRUE turn by turn abilities the car has to have GPS...so make sure your new car does. The CUE screen will be exactly the same, so it can be very upsetting to find out later that its really not there...make sure your car has GPS installed.

The other issue is locations, i would say about 80% the GPS is accurate, other times the final location is a little off, versus my honda that was pin point about 99% of the time. The example for this is my friends house, He lives in a pretty isolated location, even the fire department has had a hard time finding his house. My honda took me down his driveway straight to his front door, my Cadillac didn't know what side of the road his house was even on "destination ahead"

POI: my honda had more POI's then this CUE and they were better organized. With CUE you have to pick a category, then a sub category then select from there. The Honda did not have sub categories.

I think my last frustration is the "upgrades" I was really hoping to see apps and such offered, but there are none, even using Pandora is a clunky and frustrating process. Want text to speech that is offered in the 2014 models? Nope can't get that in a 2013. Even just the option to read text/see texts on screen would have been nice..but NOooooo Cue is really not upgradeable to the way they want you to think. They pitch it has "always upgradeable" but new features are just not there and can not be applied to older cars. There are no NEW apps being introduced for your older system.

In summery The Cue, while it looks more impressive, just is an under performing gimmick. The controls for Heating and air are simple but over complicated to use, the gps is about on par with a 2006 smartphone. If you have had any in dash GPS system you will find the ATS system clunky and more of a hassle with less of the options and features. Since it can take almost 3 minutes to load at times this is a big failing feature that will probably have me looking at another car in the next 5 years or so. CUE could have been so much more but falls short in so many ways. It is a shame that such an awesome car is really a disappointment in the technology area. I know this is a big feature that have turned off several friends from moving towards Cadillac... Car looks great (check) car performs well (check) fun to drive(check) nice interior(check) technology interface (fail)...I use this feature all the time and just don't want to downgrade from my XXXXxx.

Thank you all for reading and hopefully some of you out there can give suggestions to where i might be missing something. I know there is not alot of love for the CUE and since we were promised it can be upgraded to stay "up with the times" hopefully we can get an interface we deserve and enjoy using.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I have not seen an oem navigation system as good as Google maps on my iphone. The car I will probably buy has gps and I bet I will never use it. My plan is a windshield mount with a lightning cable running through the a pillar to my phone. It's what I do now in my Saab and love it. Or Cadillac can suck it up and adopt carplay at some point. I got to play with it and liked it. Not as good as my phone, but better than oem systems for sure.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
Elad13 said:
I have been wanting to wirte this for a while now but wanted to have some every day experience with the CUE system before i really posted. So here goes my view on CUE and what i think the system could benefit from. I think this might be helpful to those thinking about getting a car with CUE and it might also allow others to post fixes to my issues or other ways to utilize the system, so please if you see something different then what you experience please post, it helps everyone!! OK so i traded in my 2008 Honda Civic SI with Nav. It was a great car but i got tired of city driving and the 6sp manual. What a huge jump from a popular honda car into the new 13 ATS Premium! I am very happy over all with the "upgrade". However I am not so happy with the info-hub CUE. And let me go over the convieneces i did have from a 2008 to the new 2014 software (I updated the software first thing when i got the vehicle. Voice command- Over all this works fairly has expected, but at the end of your voice session you still have to touch the screen TWICE to confirm the destination...umm doesn't that just sorta defeat the whole "voice command" option? So lets dig into this a little more detailed... I push the button on the steering wheel to activate voice command....then i have to say "Destination Contacts" Then i have to say which contact "place A" then if it is lucky enough to find the saved contact I then have to pick an option from the screen and then select "GO"...what is the point of having the safety of voice activation when you force on screen interactions to finish the commands? Next is previous or "saved" contact locations. Most people have seen and have to be frustrated by this. To select a destination it is NOT the larger address that you have to hit it is the little TINY flag icon that is set more to the center of the screen. THIS IS SO ANNOYING. When making a selection for a vehicle touch screen you should really give a LARGE area to make that selection. My parents that have owned Cadillac's for a long time just could not get this tiny flag icon selected, many times even I find that i have missed the TINY flag and now I am in edit address mode. Very poor layout for this option. Next is the outdated locations on their GPS, even though i have the lastest software I can not tell you how many times i pull up to my destination to find out that ITS NOT THERE!!! A great example is that it shows a McDonalds about 1 mile from my house, that location has not been there for over 6 years!!! Most of the time i have to confirm location and name via my smartphone and then enter it into CUE. This has hapened with fast food places, Home depot, Office depot and it happens enough that when I do finally goto use a new location i always use my smartphone first. The traffic option via SIRUS is good, however it only shows the road you are on and there is no way to see other traffic on exits or merging onto another highway. A great example is I was traveling on 75 south in Atlanta and was merging onto 20 east...75 south was fine with light traffic but as soon as i merged onto 20 east the traffic took a good 3 mins to tell me "recalculating route" because of an accident, now had i been able to see that 20 east was congested i would have just avoided it, but because the traffic information is so limited in CUE I got stuck anyway. It also does not include traffic for city streets only main thoroughfares. Added that you have to pay a good $60 a year to sirus for this feature to work. (WARNING CADILLAC is misleading most people. most ATS come with "turn by turn" navigation, what they fail to tell you is you have to have ON STAR for that to work...its actually pretty sneaky on their part) to have TRUE turn by turn abilities the car has to have GPS...so make sure your new car does. The CUE screen will be exactly the same, so it can be very upsetting to find out later that its really not there...make sure your car has GPS installed. The other issue is locations, i would say about 80% the GPS is accurate, other times the final location is a little off, versus my honda that was pin point about 99% of the time. The example for this is my friends house, He lives in a pretty isolated location, even the fire department has had a hard time finding his house. My honda took me down his driveway straight to his front door, my Cadillac didn't know what side of the road his house was even on "destination ahead" POI: my honda had more POI's then this CUE and they were better organized. With CUE you have to pick a category, then a sub category then select from there. The Honda did not have sub categories. I think my last frustration is the "upgrades" I was really hoping to see apps and such offered, but there are none, even using Pandora is a clunky and frustrating process. Want text to speech that is offered in the 2014 models? Nope can't get that in a 2013. Even just the option to read text/see texts on screen would have been nice..but NOooooo Cue is really not upgradeable to the way they want you to think. They pitch it has "always upgradeable" but new features are just not there and can not be applied to older cars. There are no NEW apps being introduced for your older system. In summery The Cue, while it looks more impressive, just is an under performing gimmick. The controls for Heating and air are simple but over complicated to use, the gps is about on par with a 2006 smartphone. If you have had any in dash GPS system you will find the ATS system clunky and more of a hassle with less of the options and features. Since it can take almost 3 minutes to load at times this is a big failing feature that will probably have me looking at another car in the next 5 years or so. CUE could have been so much more but falls short in so many ways. It is a shame that such an awesome car is really a disappointment in the technology area. I know this is a big feature that have turned off several friends from moving towards Cadillac... Car looks great (check) car performs well (check) fun to drive(check) nice interior(check) technology interface (fail)...I use this feature all the time and just don't want to downgrade from my XXXXxx. Thank you all for reading and hopefully some of you out there can give suggestions to where i might be missing something. I know there is not alot of love for the CUE and since we were promised it can be upgraded to stay "up with the times" hopefully we can get an interface we deserve and enjoy using.
Funny you mention having had a 2008 Honda. I too have a 2008 Honda (company car) with nav. The voice commands do work quicker on the Honda than in the Caddy but if I were to choose one of the other, hands down I'd choose CUE. You mention CUE to be dated. There is no more dated nav screen than the one on the Honda. I use OnStar to route destinations to CUE. It really doesn't get much easier than that.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
I don't have any problems with my CUE 2013 model. But I don't use any voice,GPS or the Pandora. I like having all the gadgets and stuff but don't use them that often. I work like 4 miles from home and never use the GPS. A couple times I have used the GPS was ok but not great. I have also had the problem where it doesn't find the location I am trying to get to. On another day it took the address right away. Weird but it happens to me. I just like driving this puppy. Guess I'm getting old and call me old school but I just wanted a car that I can use my heavy foot with. It does the job in that department. If I was driving all day for work using the I would probably use my phone. Sometimes it's just to much hassle trying to put in the address.

All in all I like the CUE and the way it looks but features are not that great. If I was a technical geek I wouldn't like it's performance. But the rest of the car makes up for it. I can't have everything I want or I wouldn't have to work and all other garbage that goes along with daily life.:alchi:

·
Registered
Ats 2.0 premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's just it...the Cue is a hassle. And I think I just got spoiled by my 2008 honda...was it that advanced? I definitely think cadalliac will need some major changes with their system to really be a contender.Compared to the new tech out there caddy is falling behind. While the car is fun to drive it really doesn't perform has promised. The 0 to 50 times are off, the mpg is off, the cue is off...after my warranty I will be turning to aftermarket performance to really bring some power up. But since this topic is about cue I'll stick with that. Thank you all for the replies and while I'm sure it's great to some, anyone that's had built in navigation, it really seems the majority find the cue disappointing has well.

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,433 Posts
Considering the CUE upgrade cost, the poor UI, really poor BOSE sound, poor microphone quality/interface and poor smartphone support I am glad I didn't get it.

·
Registered
14 ATS 2.0/11 Camaro SS
200 Posts
Considering the CUE upgrade cost, the poor UI, really poor BOSE sound, poor microphone quality/interface and poor smartphone support I am glad I didn't get it.
so you know all this from the experience you have with the system you didn't get? Get real.

I really think user error plays a huge factor in CUE complaints, like I said before mine works great!

·
Registered
ATS
239 Posts
^^ So does mine! Sometimes car forums have many negatives posted. While the many folks who really like their cars are pretty silent. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
115 Posts
Mine works excellent interfacing with the iphone; Sirius XM, Pandora, Siri, texting, etc. I didn't get nav. Purposely.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
so you know all this from the experience you have with the system you didn't get? Get real.

I really think user error plays a huge factor in CUE complaints, like I said before mine works great!
After using it in a XTS and CTS loaners I can say I have a bit of experience. Also when I test drove KIA, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, Chevy, Ford and Dodge that had as good or better radios than Cadillac. My RV buddy has a Toyota Corolla with a very nice radio... backup display and few other features that my Cadillac doesn't have. Heck my base unit in my 2010 Dodge Challenger has as better sound than my 7 speaker Bose.

Your probably wonder why I bought the Caddy.... It was the total package not just 1 or 2 items.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
^^^^^I'm sorry, but those cars audio system (with the exception of Mercedes) suck air compared to the Cadillac Bose system. I've driven many (and rode in as many ) cars.....including some of the cars you mentioned... and comparatively, this Cadillac BOSE system is one of the best OEM sounding systems I've ever experienced. The 4 channel simulation is excellent. The CUE system as are all infotainment systems isn't perfect, but it is superb once you take the time to learn to use it properly. As with all infotainment systems, especially advanced ones, there is always a learning curve involved. One of the main selling points for me to give up my STS for the ATS was the CUE system. The graphics and whole layout is very appealing both on a visual and practical standpoint. I've driven a loaner Car once that didn't have it....talk about missing it....I felt like I was driving a cheap Ford or Chevy. Seriously, your gonna compare a Toyota Corolla's cartoon graphics and average sound with a Cadillac CUE ? How basic is your car in that you don't have a backup display....

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My Caddy is a base model... It is just what I wanted. Just like my Challenger, only 2 options. Most of the other stuff is just something more to break or malfunction. MRC might be nice to have.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6MT
637 Posts
I am supremely impressed with my Bose system! talk about clear sound! I don't have the 7speaker system so I can't comment on that, but the premium Bose system is more than sufficient for me...I love it! I don't listen to music with much base at all(country) and if I turn it up loud, I feel like I'm at a concert. I also love CUE!

and MRC is probably my favorite option on the whole car!! Dale, you're definitely missing out. but, you got what you wanted and that's all that matters. we all have God-given a**holes and opinions for a reason :)

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T AWD
340 Posts
I have no complaints about the sound, I also have the premium bose system.

My biggest complaint is the hands free integration for the voice pass through. If you want to send a text via siri, you have to use the touch screen, goto home page, click microphone, then hit start, kind of defeating the hands free process of using siri. On an old cruze you can just say blue tooth then voice then bam, you have siri through your phone.

Map data base on ALL gm vehicles is terrible, this is no limited to CUE.

I dislike having to use the touch screen to change hvac settings other than temp and fan speed. Usually just leave it on auto to avoid dealing with that.

Other than that I'm happy with mine for the most part, and like others have said, I love driving the car and thats more important to myself than the media center thats in it.

·
Registered
Ats 2.0 premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually the Bose sound is fine for a stock system. The microphone works great and i never have any complaints even with the windows down, my smart phone syncs just fine so not really sure what you are having issues with and since you didn't get it your experience/opinion is pretty limited.

----------

To those of you saying your system is GREAT...can you please provide some answers then?

Do you NOT have to use the touch pad for voice activated navigation? So in other words you can use the voice activation to pull up a destination, and "GO" to destination all with out having to touch the CUE screen?

For selecting a destination that is stored....do you NOT have to touch the right side little flag to select it? and if you barely miss the little flag does your system NOT pull up the edit location page?

Are you saying that EVERY location you do want to goto is listed correctly in the system?

Are you saying that every location is an exact route? "Destination ahead on right" is 100% accurate? "you have arrived at your destination" is 100%

Are you saying that your traffic notices DO include side streets other then the one you are driving on?

The voice commands are 90% recognized?

In models before 2014 are you saying that they were able to add Text to speech on your system?

Are you saying that you have found other apps to work on CUE and that you have gotten upgrades to your older systems to give you the same functions has the new 2015 models?

Are you saying that the POIs are updated regularly and you can just type the name of the location in a search and it is 90% correct?

For everyone saying their system is GREAT and they must be a genius at using it, please enlighten me on the above issues i have with CUE. I am not ruling out that i am missing something and your knowledge on any of the above might really help

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
All the nav issues stem from a shitty map data base used by GM
Not all. CUE will sometimes speak the opposite direction to turn; when the text direction is correct. And its not even consistent; use it multiple times for the same start and end point and it might say right instead of left (or vice versa) maybe once, maybe twice, maybe not at all.

In addition, the code for handling destinations sent by OnStar are terrible. If the destination doesn't happen to be in the on-board maps, CUE will substitute the center of town OR one end of the road the destination is on which can easily take you farther from the destination than you started from. What it should do is tell the driver it couldn't handle the destination sent by OnStar. Even better OnStar should send GPS coordinates instead and have CUE offer to either give directions to the closest place on its maps or recommend switching to OnStar turn by turn directions.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
Just took a trip in a fairly new Audi A6. The voice recognition had some similar issues to CUE when trying to load a couple destinations. Voice commands on my LG G2 had no problems finding it. Phone software just seems to be light years ahead of the car systems.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts