Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin bout buyin another eldo 1993 (white diamond) with a 4.9L V8 SFI OHV 16V . whats the scoop on this engine? Walt

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
they are very good engines.... 200hp 275ft lbs of tourqe.... low on the hp, [very] high on the tourqe, it's right there when you hit the gas... it is made by Cadillac, only used in Caddy's..... no real known problems, like things going wrong...... they have a rough idel, need premium gas (dosn't bother me) with normal maintenace will go well into 200k miles.... it is smart to change the coolent every year (gotta use special GM tablets though, do a search, you'll know what I mean)

they are about a second or so slower in the 1/4 then NorthStar powered cars.... but alot more simple and less maintenance..... I am very happy with mine, there is NO aftermakret at all (well, K&N drop in and a Fast Chip computer chip) too bad the power output wasn't a little higher....or a way to bump it up a little..... although next year I want to get a nice Flow Master cat-back exhaust system....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Night Wolf said:
they are very good engines.... 200hp 275ft lbs of tourqe.... low on the hp, [very] high on the tourqe, it's right there when you hit the gas... it is made by Cadillac, only used in Caddy's..... no real known problems, like things going wrong...... they have a rough idel, need premium gas (dosn't bother me) with normal maintenace will go well into 200k miles.... it is smart to change the coolent every year (gotta use special GM tablets though, do a search, you'll know what I mean)

they are about a second or so slower in the 1/4 then NorthStar powered cars.... but alot more simple and less maintenance..... I am very happy with mine, there is NO aftermakret at all (well, K&N drop in and a Fast Chip computer chip) too bad the power output wasn't a little higher....or a way to bump it up a little..... although next year I want to get a nice Flow Master cat-back exhaust system....
Thanks for the info Rick

·
Registered
Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9
691 Posts
very reliable engine. simple technology. good old pushrod engine that is low maintanance. I would get one anyday over a northstar. Northstar engines have head gasket problems and I just dont see what all the hype is about. I mean its a good running engine with more power than the 4.9 but thats only when they're healthy. Truth be told, around town there is no difference in the performance of these 2 engines. Only way you can tell the power difference is on the highway.
The 4.9 still cruises very smooth and silent at 75-80 mph and still knocks down close to 30 mpg which is kind of unheard of for a V8 engine, very good motor in my opinion.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I like the sound. Sounds like the LT1 Z28's with a flowmaster. Did you notice any difference in power with the CAI and the muffler setup? Also where did you get the CAI, now I want one.
Great choice of tips, the rectangular tips are my personal favorites.
Nice Deville!

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
there is a big difference! the throttle is alot more responsive. plus the looks i get for it being a cadillac and sounding like that. ive heard plenty of N* exhaust videos with magnaflow and flowmasters on there cars, yea they sound great but the exhaust note just doesnt drop like the 4.9 does. people ask me if ive done an engine swap, i just say nope good ol 4.9 and they give me the blank stare. the intake i custom made with a 3" cone filter. thanks for the comments! :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think an aftermarket exhaust such as yours sounds better with a regular V8 with no dual cams like the N*. The N* sounds ok with aftermarket mufflers but it doesnt have that muscle car sound like the 4.9 or any other old school tech V8.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
The Corsa cat-back on my STS' Northstar is a VERY sweet sounding engine at 7,000 RPMs! No 4.9 matches it for sounds!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts

That post is 4.5 YEARS old...... why bring back the old thread?

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
4.9's sound better than that through fiberglass-filled mufflers (which is what Corsa uses).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufoDxp8vvvg
Um...no. The nice thing about the Corsa system is that there's no drone when cruising. I've used other performance mufflers on Northstars, and they were awful when cruising or at highway speeds.
And the Corsa mufflers are flow through, there is no fiberglass in them. Check the website for more info.

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
Yes, flow through - Meaning fiberglass (or steel mesh, or both) filled, not a trap design (ie stock, flowmaster, etc) muffler. Contact their sales department if you think I'm wrong - I do this for a living.

Your opinion is that your Northstar sounds better than any 4.9. I say not only does my 4.9 sound better than your Northstar, my car's faster to boot. How does that make your dual overhead cams feel? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Yes, flow through - Meaning fiberglass (or steel mesh, or both) filled, not a trap design (ie stock, flowmaster, etc) muffler. Contact their sales department if you think I'm wrong - I do this for a living.

Your opinion is that your Northstar sounds better than any 4.9. I say not only does my 4.9 sound better than your Northstar, my car's faster to boot. How does that make your dual overhead cams feel? :rolleyes:
4.9 does sound alot better than the n*, 4.9 has a lower exhaust note and slower idle. i love my flowmaster 80, best mod on the car! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts