Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
What tranny is in the '95 4.9 liter Deville?
Whatever it is,my '95 Deville 4.9 has 136,000 miles on it and the original tranny has plenty of low end torque and shifts like a new ride yet.It probably helps i keep fresh tranny fluid and filter in her too,as well as not having a lead foot--that is unless it`s necessary to have lead foot.

Which engine is better? Depends on what you want from either engine.I`ve read the early Northstars were less than desireable and the 4.9 was the best of the 4.x series of engines.No major problems on my 4.9 yet.Real good engine for me so far!

·
Registered
95 FWB Blk on Blk. (120K) 98 Deville Concours, 1991 SDV.
133 Posts
I like both motors, each its own different feel. My 91 deville, orig. trans w/ 197K. Only thing I replaced is the differential unit from a used 92 tranny. Swapped them out and works great. I guess the low end torque finally blew the diff, but tranny is fine.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I'm not sure I don't know much about that transmission, I know there are several different versions that were used in trucks and such.

But the 4T60 that is used in Cadillac's are identical to the ones used in V6s in other GM cars. You don't see something wrong with that? Unless someone can chime in and say that they upgraded something I still believe it to be inferior and a error on Cadillac's part for putting a V6 transmission in a V8 car.
There are differences to the transmissions depending on what engine they were to go behind. Some of the differences could have just been different electronics I don't know how far into them they got. Later years do have more heavy duty parts. They do die but I don't know if it's any more common then other cars. The chances of having problems are probably about the same as any used car the same age and mileage.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
It is 4T60E. They started putting them since the '91 Devilles came out. 4T60 and 4T60E might not have a mechanical difference, but the big difference is the latter is computer controlled. Which means they will change gears depending upon the throttle input. The smoothness of the shifts also depends on the throttle input. If you drive it gently you're not even gonna notice the gear changes, but when you nail it is when you get those hard shifts; that's how it's supposed to be.

As long as you change your transmission fluid and filter regularly, any transmission is supposed to last you a while. Now, you know everything has a life expectancy. Well, some products go out when they are expected, others go out prematurely, and a third kind keeps going beyond its life expectancy. You can notice that on just about anything - tvs, stereos, light bulbs... So this would apply to transmissions and engines, and so on. There are some cars from the 70s which still run fine, and then others from the '08 or '09 that are piece of shit. It's maintenance, but to a degree it is luck as well.

It's funny you don't even know what kind of a transmission you have in your Cadillac, but you're arguing the transmission is crap and the GM engineers were crap, and so on. Read some more reviews about your Cadillac and/or 4T60E. :)

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Shift firmness is still controlled by a modulator valve on both the "E" and regular variants - vacuum controlled. It's the electronically controlled shift points that really created a performance difference between the two transmissions. No more detent cable, putting electronic solenoids in control.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
Really? I said that? Hmmm.

I just wasn't sure what year they switched to the electronically controled version or not. It's both pretty much the same transmission.

It is 4T60E. They started putting them since the '91 Devilles came out. 4T60 and 4T60E might not have a mechanical difference, but the big difference is the latter is computer controlled. Which means they will change gears depending upon the throttle input. The smoothness of the shifts also depends on the throttle input. If you drive it gently you're not even gonna notice the gear changes, but when you nail it is when you get those hard shifts; that's how it's supposed to be.

As long as you change your transmission fluid and filter regularly, any transmission is supposed to last you a while. Now, you know everything has a life expectancy. Well, some products go out when they are expected, others go out prematurely, and a third kind keeps going beyond its life expectancy. You can notice that on just about anything - tvs, stereos, light bulbs... So this would apply to transmissions and engines, and so on. There are some cars from the 70s which still run fine, and then others from the '08 or '09 that are piece of shit. It's maintenance, but to a degree it is luck as well.

It's funny you don't even know what kind of a transmission you have in your Cadillac, but you're arguing the transmission is crap and the GM engineers were crap, and so on. Read some more reviews about your Cadillac and/or 4T60E. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it's often taboo to revive an old thread, but this thing pops up on Google, and here we are.
Mainly, I'm looking at doing a swap into an s10 (for a buddy) and scavenge a few parts for my 95 eldorado. Found a 93 with a 4.9 and seeing if it's a better option than the 4.6...... but anyways, a a few things about the trannies:
60 series is just that: A SERIES. mainly to do with case and layout. and, yes, it's in the same family as the 4l60, which we'll just stick to the most obvious difference. I only bring this up because the difference in 4l60 trannies are "if it were a snake" obvious. the most popular version is barely made to handle the power of a base line 5.3 v8. and you absolutely can not take a 4l60e out of an s10 and put it in a 200x Tahoe. it simply wont hold up. fewer clutches, different gearing, etc. this applies similar to the 4t60e and such.
Funny someone brings it up, as I do have an 85 olds 98 with the 3.8. also have a 93 Bonneville, and half a dozen similar cars that have come and gone over the years. torque converter was the biggest difference that jumps out when swapping between models. aside from stall speed, shift points and shift time is widely different, which also has a large effect on the failure of a tranny. I do have to say, the series of tranny is notorious for failures at a higher rate. 90% of that being simply fluid condition. took me a few tranny swaps wo start digging in only to find plugged or failed solenoids to be the culprit. now, plugged or restricted solenoids can and often do lead to burned up clutches etc. cooked fluid can rapid wear servos and planetaries. and when swapping, just because the pan fits and it bolts up, doesnt mean it's the same. usually you can get by with using the correct tc and it will work without throwing a fit. btw, 3800 is 200hp/260hp, while the 3.8 is 170hp. dont recall the tq numbers off the top of my head, which I really should look up, but everyone knows how to Google that. anyways, you shouldn't have to avoid hills or be scared of the gas pedal. roast them tires! You are not doing your engine any favors babying it. that is the worst thing you can do to an engine..... aside from lack of maintenance and red line. Cadillac is, and ever since the 500ci class has been both luxury and performance.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
The 4t65 behind the 3800 supercharged or the LS4 is weak even though it's the 4t65-HD (heavy duty). First one I bought was warranty replaced and even still the chain stretched and slipped if you applied anything more than delicate throttle peddle. The 4.9 makes decent torque from idle on upwards, which will impact stresses on the transmission. But a 4t80e is well known for durability. The torque values per low to middle rpms for the Northstar engine aren't something I'm familar with. The bellhousings are the same for 4.9 and 4.6 aren't they, both being 60 degree set ups? There may be an interfence from something else, but not the bellhousing. Forums where drivetrain swaps are discussed will have surely know these answers.
Both engines have issues. No hotrodding for either is not well supported.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, normal driving, you stay below 2000rpm, if that tells you anything. I am still convinced that a lack of proper maintenance is the downfall of the 4t80. at least in the 60, people know how to check the fluid periodically.... then comes the 80 and "where is the dipstick?" Even lube shops scratch thier head at times. On top of that, you really have to tell it to jump when you want, otherwise its soft shift and the valves dont get a full range actuation to stay clear. heavy load at shift pressures and times meant for light loading can burn up a tranny pretty quick.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts